South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Biltong spice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

whirlpool

i had over a kg of biltong spices that has somehow absorbed moisture and has turned to a course treacle - it smells nice but i am reluctant to use it. i have never made up these spices, always relying on buying premixed spices.

i could not resist as the rump was selling at $9.99kg for a whole rump (appox £4.10!!) - so have three dik pieces for the family, to braai tomorrow and the rest will be dried, but......:bigcry: no spice

Does anybody have a good recipe mix for biltong spices so that it tastes like that made at your local butcher / plaas Wink
please...

whirlpool

NOBODY ????!!!!????:confused: very :confused:very very :confused:
My expert advice would be to simply use rock salt, corriander and pepper after brushing the meat with worcestershire sauce...

Hey.. I even sound like I know what I'm talking about. Big Grin
Whirlpool I have one, but unfortunately have to go out, will post one a bit later if that's okay

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by edmonsta
My expert advice would be to simply use rock salt, corriander and pepper after brushing the meat with worcestershire sauce...

Hey.. I even sound like I know what I'm talking about. Big Grin
:thumbs: those are the basics, although i always use vinegar instead of worcester sauce. this stuff i had, had brown sugar and a variety of other bits and bobs as well. do you soak you meat or hang it straight away?
Whirlpool biltong spices as promised.

Sufficient spice for 2kgs Beef.

0.5 cup Brown Sugar
15g Whole Coriander (roasted slightly) and then ground
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1,75 tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda

If your last mix had the salt already in, then add to the above 0.75cup coarse salt.

Mix well and continue to make your biltong as previously

Enjoy!

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Whirlpool I have one, but unfortunately have to go out, will post one a bit later if that's okay
thanks, i look forward to seeing it. i have no corriander so will have to wait for the shops tomorrow, i can get all the ingredients at the same time
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
:thumbs: those are the basics, although i always use vinegar instead of worcester sauce. this stuff i had, had brown sugar and a variety of other bits and bobs as well. do you soak you meat or hang it straight away?

We soak the meat for a couple of hours.

whirlpool

We soak the meat for a couple of hours.
our post passed one another many thanks Smile

whirlpool

Whirlpool biltong spices as promised.

Sufficient spice for 2kgs Beef.

0.5 cup Brown Sugar
15g Whole Coriander (roasted slightly) and then ground
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1,75 tsp Freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda

If your last mix had the salt already in, then add to the above 0.75cup coarse salt.

Mix well and continue to make your biltong as previously

Enjoy!
this looks familiar.

really dumb question for you - how do you roast coriander? i know fresh coriander is available should i use this instead of the packaged stuff?
Pages: 1 2