South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The secret diary of Luke Watson by Dan Nicholl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In another global exclusive, iafrica.com brings you a first ever glimpse at the personal 'diary' of Stormers captain Luke Watson…

Saturday 12 May: I’m in the squad! Can’t quite believe it – guess Jake has finally changed his mind about me. And he created an extra spot in the squad for me, to make sure I’d be there, which was rather touching. Went out to celebrate with Ross Skeate, who said he’d grow his biggest sideburns ever in tribute. He’s one of my best mates, but he’s decidedly strange when it comes to facial hair. Anyway, Springboks here I come…

Monday 14 May
: Mixed morning. The papers all reckon I’m only in the squad because Oregan Hoskins overruled Jake, which was a little hurtful. Phoned Oregan to ask him; he said he had no influence whatsoever on selection, but that it wouldn’t hurt if I brushed up on my French. Cryptic guy. Also muttered something about hoping John Robbie got savaged by a rabid hyena, but wasn’t really listening. Then got a text message from Ebrahim Rasool, the premier of the Western Cape, inviting me for breakfast tomorrow! Pretty cool! Ironed my Western Province blazer, and watched some television; nothing much on MTV, and eventually fell asleep with Channel O playing. Actually a pretty good channel.

Tuesday 15 May: I’m black! No, really! Mr. Rasool wanted to see me to tell me that actually, I’m black! Quite a shock, to be honest, and wasn’t sure how to react. Called my dad to tell him, but he said he couldn’t speak on the phone, as the Third Force had tapped his line, and would be listening in to the conversation. Guess I’ll have to deal with this on my own.

Wednesday 16 May: Woke up with KFM on as usual, but suddenly remembered that I’m black now, and felt a little guilty, so changed over to Metro pretty quickly. Didn’t recognise much of the music, but definitely felt a connection to it. Probably explains why I liked Diana Ross and Lionel Richie so much as a kid. Flew up to Bloemfontein for the Springbok camp; got a stiff handshake from Jake, but he didn’t say much else to me. Afternoon training involved me taking the ball up on my own, and trying to get past the rest of the squad (full contact). Repeated it for almost an hour; felt pretty bruised and tired by the end of it, to be honest.

Thursday 17 May: Ross called this morning to see how I was getting on with the camp. Told him I was still coming to terms with being black; he suggested I try and look for guidance from other guys who look white, but are really black. Sounded sensible, so went down to Musica at lunchtime, and bought all the Eminem and Michael Jackson albums I could find. Spent the afternoon doing a tackling drill where the rest of the squad took turns to run at me, and I had to tackle them. You definitely feel it when CJ lands on you. Very long afternoon; tough work being a Springbok.

Friday 18 May: Figured I had to embrace being black properly, so instead of the usual muttered hello, greeted everyone at breakfast with "whassup, where you at!". Got some pretty strange looks, to be honest, and Os asked me if I was feeling alright. Phoned Shimmy for advice on being black; he suggested getting a black girlfriend might help. Sounded like a good idea, so asked him if he had a sister; he said if I so much as looked as his sister, he’d break both my kneecaps, and hung up. Guess I won’t be joining the Shimange family any time soon.

Saturday 19 May: Bulls win! Not a great final, but an amazing finish thanks to Bryan's try. Felt a strange sense of kinship with him as he scored at the end. Also felt sorry for the Sharks, especially as they’re my old team. Had a call from Butana Khompela, the head of Parliament’s sports committee (I think). Congratulated me on the Sharks win, said he thought I served particularly well, offered me government funding if I needed new clubs, and wished me a season full of wickets, particularly if we were playing Arsenal, who he isn’t very fond of. Strange phone call.

Sunday 20 May: I’m in the squad of 38! Very cool. Checked my email for the first time in a week — 82 different proposals from companies inviting me to join their board of directors, or to become a BEE partner! Hadn’t even thought about that, to be honest – only really been thinking about whether I could be a real Springbok in a week's time.