South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Questioning things...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

Since my Dad passed in 2001, I have been on a long long sabbatical, delving in different things - looking for answers and wondering about things,
going back to my childhood and being very very bitter about things forced down our throats regarding religion - being hurt by christian's atittudes.......:noway:

I have joined an Atheist's site - no i am not an Atheist - but i have been looking into different things - I have been looking at all the different debates, all the reasoning and seeing things differently from different angles and frankly slowly coming to a conclusion and thinking i am more Agnostic than Christian or Atheism.
Confusedorry:

Are any of you going thru this type of thing, and have you found your answer yet?

Please do not judge me - i have not judged you!:thumbs:
Icecub Wrote:Since my Dad passed in 2001, I have been on a long long sabbatical, delving in different things - looking for answers and wondering about things,
going back to my childhood and being very very bitter about things forced down our throats regarding religion - being hurt by christian's atittudes.......:noway:

I have joined an Atheist's site - no i am not an Atheist - but i have been looking into different things - I have been looking at all the different debates, all the reasoning and seeing things differently from different angles and frankly slowly coming to a conclusion and thinking i am more Agnostic than Christian or Atheism.
Confusedorry:

Are any of you going thru this type of thing, and have you found your answer yet?

Please do not judge me - i have not judged you!:thumbs:

Dear Icecub,

You are not alone; I do not accept the New Testament interpretation that finds only Christians will be saved. I do not believe that a caring God would exclude other faiths who also believe in a divine creator. I tend to regard Atheism as a belief held by closed minds. I like the quote from a biologist who stated that the probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of an unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a print shop. It is natural to question faith. If we had incontrovertible proof of our creator then faith would not be required.

Closed minded exclusion or derision of those considered outside the fold by “Christians” is clearly identified by the bible as un Christian action. There is a lot of truth to the saying "Don't take God's name in vain"
I believe in God and I believe in Jesus

however I question religious institutions who describe their way as the only way to God

whereas I also believe in the Bible as the 'original' word of God I question the 'interpretation' that religious institutions use and put across as 'Gospel', this I often see as 'their gospel for their needs and use'

all in all I live by faith and I feel it enhances my life and adds to the meaning to life. This faith is further enhanced by the holy spirit and the strengthening of my conscience which leads to a rewarding, if often tough, relationship with God

eat - drink - die

is not a way for me

Icecub

Thanks for your replies, sjoe this means i am not alone in my questioning etc.:engel:
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi Cubbie...

Losing a loved one is very hard and it naturally brings all kinds of emotions and questions to the surface. I am sorry it is so hard for you. When my oldest brother died I became very angry with God - went into depression couldn't sleep, etc. It was so difficult for me. I remember that I finally sat on my couch in Amsterdam speaking out loud to the Lord what exactly I think of Him. He listened and let me be.... He doesn't get upset with our anger or our doubt.... and I remember so well that after awhile I sensed His peace and comfort and love. I sat there long enough to experience it.

I am sorry you feel judged by Christians. Some are so eager to share because they have received His love, but unfortunately it is done in an immature way. To be honest, I am weary of those kind of Christians too, because the God I know is a God of love - but He is also a God of truth. Sometimes we don't want to walk the walk of truth. Sometimes we like holding on to our grudges, having self pity parties, our unforgiveness instead of bring it to Him and leaving it with Him.

I don't believe in institutions either, but I believe that it is important to have fellowship with others, to get teaching of the Word. There is safety in it as we can be accountable to each other and not become a sect or going cultist. It is like a plumb line - we all need that divine plumb line to keep us straight.

I have just read the most amazing book "The Book that Transforms Nations". "The Book" is of course the Bible and I will post some of it in the next few days.

Cubbie... hope this journey won't last too long....

Love

:daisy:[/COLOR]
John01 Wrote:Dear Icecub,

You are not alone; I do not accept the New Testament interpretation that finds only Christians will be saved. I do not believe that a caring God would exclude other faiths who also believe in a divine creator. I tend to regard Atheism as a belief held by closed minds. I like the quote from a biologist who stated that the probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of an unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a print shop. It is natural to question faith. If we had incontrovertible proof of our creator then faith would not be required.

Closed minded exclusion or derision of those considered outside the fold by “Christians” is clearly identified by the bible as un Christian action. There is a lot of truth to the saying "Don't take God's name in vain"

Hello John

Regarding this part of your post: life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of an unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a print shop: just the following:

You are using a print shop as an example, but it is just another version of
the Boeing 747 allusion from Fred Hoyle's famous argument against the probability of life spontaneously assembling itself on the primordial earth. According to Hoyle, the probability of life originating on Earth is no greater than the probability that a tornado, sweeping through a junkyard, would assemble a working Boeing 747 airliner.

Hoyle obviouslydoesn't understand the first thing about natural selection.

Living organisms developed through culminative steps, not by a single-step chance.

The apparent improbability of life's complexity does not imply evidence of design or a designer at all. 14 billion years of evolution must be taken into account - there is no question of an explosion in a print shop.

The Argument From Design is also often stated by the so-called Watchmaker Argument. One is asked to imagine that one has found a watch on the beach. Does one assume that it was created by a watchmaker, or that it evolved naturally? Of course one assumes a watchmaker. Yet like the watch, the universe is intricate and complex; so, the argument goes, the universe too must have a creator.

The Watchmaker analogy suffers from three particular flaws, over and above those common to all Arguments By Design. Firstly, a watchmaker creates watches from pre-existing materials, whereas God is claimed to have created the universe from nothing. These two sorts of creation are clearly fundamentally different, and the analogy is therefore rather weak.

Secondly, a watchmaker makes watches, but there are many other things in the world. If we walked further along the beach and found a nuclear reactor, we wouldn't assume it was created by the watchmaker. The argument would therefore suggest a multitude of creators, each responsible for a different part of creation (or a different universe, if you allow the possibility that there might be more than one).

Finally, in the first part of the watchmaker argument we conclude that the watch is not part of nature because it is ordered, and therefore stands out from the randomness of nature. Yet in the second part of the argument, we start from the position that the universe is obviously not random, but shows elements of order. The Watchmaker argument is thus internally inconsistent.

Apart from logical inconsistencies in the watchmaker argument, it's worth pointing out that biological systems and mechanical systems behave very differently. What's unlikely for a pile of gears is not necessarily unlikely for a mixture of biological molecules.

Now regarding your statement that Atheism is a belief held by closed minds: Religious groups sometimes attempt to portray Atheism as simply being another religion, placing it on a par with any other belief system, however Atheism is not a religion nor a belief system.

Religion is defined as a belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. As Atheism is the lack of belief in a supernatural power, it cannot be defined as a religion or belief system.

Now on to being closed minded: Atheist don't rely on one book only like theists do. Atheists do a lot of research taking science, biology, history and a whole lot more study fields into account, verifiable facts - hence the fact that they don't have or need faith.

I will continue this debate later.

Sam.
I much prefer the life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of an unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a print shop analogy...
:-)
Sam Wrote:Hello John

Sam.

Sam, I understand the odds were calculated for the raw ingredients, (carbon, oxygen, heat....) to come together for the existence of single cell organisms; before the billions of years of evolution took place. I accept that these types of calculations are based on inductive logic, using facts as perceived by humans, but that is all we have to go on outside of (trust) writings. I use the term belief to denote an acceptance by the "atheist" that their position is correct.
You make interesting points. I look forward to further debate. (esp. when I have more time!) I point out that I have only minimal philosophy knowledge.
Apologies for my silence. I think I understand your questions, where they come from, and the conclusions you've come to. I've certainly had some of the same questions about God's justice, love, mercy, etc - all to do with His character, because I also lost all my loved ones in what felt like one 'fell swoop'. Then as you know I got the cancer, and you were so supportive, and I've emerged stronger in my spirit because I believe God walked every step of it with me and there was a huge support system of friends who loved me through it all.

I think at times like this we don't want or need the intellectual arguments, debates etc that go on around us.. I believe we're looking for answers for the heart and its pain and confusion. I don't need to defend God or prove that He's there, it's enough (for me) that I believe in Him and have found Him to be absolutely true, loving, kind and just - all in spite of what's going on in my world. After all, I don't believe he's to blame for my loved ones dying or my cancer. I'm reading a good and easy-to-read book at the moment, called "God on Mute - engaging the silence of unanswered prayer" by Pete Greig, whose suffering has been intense. He says ' God is good and faithful, but life can really be a b...(female dog), can't it?' Yes. My only answer for you is Try God. Whether you believe in Him or not, I believe He loves you intensely and unconditionally and is not offended by your conclusions or your questions.

I'm the last person to want to judge you, my friend, I've been judged and misjudged too and it's a violation of the self that wounds deeply. So, so sorry you've been hurt by people claiming to be Christians - I cringe when I hear stories like yours. May you find the peace you're looking for - don't give up till it's really there and it's genuine!
Blessings Jen

:bigcry: