South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Evita for President...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other evening I went to a show of Evita (yes Pieter Dirk Ys)
He was very entertaining, and as he says, he thought he had lots of material to rip off politicians in the past, imagine how much he has now...
Nowone was spared. The funniest sketch was when he came out as Pik..
Now that Pik is effectively part of the ANC, he had his moustache and his party flag and colours, fell out of our chairs...
I must admit that although it was amusing, it really hit home about how much rubbish we all have to put up with when it comes to the politicians. And the frightening thing is they can be corrupt, abuse funds, not maintain infrastructure, let schooling and hospital standards drop, and they will be just re-elected again. It was actually a little depressing.
Hey, I'm one of the most positive okes you'll find around about our beautiful country, but lately things have been getting a bit much.
My guess is that this will be the worst year for all the rubbish. Crime is spiralling in my area of Durban (at our homes and at factories)
There are constantly crimes happening around us, hijackings, housebreaking, and many factories are being broken into to steal computers. There are apparently large syndicates operating and computers apparently go into "previously disadvantaged schools". One can imagine how much the government would want to clamp down on that...
Robots either don't work sometimes at intersections all over Durban. The lights are sometimes dull at the robots, perhaps the bright lights are being used in homes and being replaced by normal bulbs, but just as dangerous. Electricity cuts are all over the place, fortunatley not too bad in Durban. But in all the municipalities the capable people have been replaced by the clueless, what can result. When that has been done in politics, schools, police, hospitals, I suppose we are lucky things work at all...
There, as it is...
I'm part of a proactive group called ""www.suncellwatch.co.za" and it has a degree of success. I say that because if we all got involved, we could make a big difference. I mean all of us in the middle of the crime. Many of you have less (no longer none I believe) crime around you.
How this works is that whenever someone sees something suspicious or an actual crime has taken place, we use a large web of cellphones and tell each other. It all goes through one guy. The text message then gets sent to all others on the list, and we all become aware of things.
I say that we are having limited success because the majority of people in the surrounding neighbourhoods have not signed up for the R25 monthly fee. Hard to believe that people would not want to pay a few squid for this. I suppose most think they pay enough for security companies and taxes for the police. But when I had arrived at a breakin (our security alarm company told us) a month ago at my business premises and I was the first there, how do you think I got hold of backup?? Yes, tried to phone the cops, no answer, sent an sms (text message) and the cops and security guys arrived. Many of the cops are on this sms network. Can you imagine the time it saves to have the cops know where you have a problem and respond immediatletly, rather than having to first spell your name 3 times and then there is the correct spelling of the address... Anyway, check out the website, interesting to see what sms's get sent.
I took some goods to the airport this morning, cops everywhere because we had a strike and the strikers do what they please when they take to the streets. Ja schools closed, public servants striking, nurses, and all sorts of others that wanted a holiday. Just coincidentally, our chief political party will be having a big conference shortly, most of this is just flexing of muscles by some in their allience. A pity all the strikers are actually pawns in a larger political game. In principle I say pay them more, but that is hard to reconcile when hears what many of these people get up to. Teachers don't arrive at work, there are molesters, all sorts of incompetence. Cops are involved in all sorts of corruption and are usually not happy with their working conditions. Nurses are generally much of the same. Ja, I feel sorry for those that carry the load in all these areas. Because it is all being held together.....just...
And the guys at the top of the politics?? They have big salaries, armed guards, best private schools, best education for their kids. Alot of "I'm alright Jack!" And therein lies the problem of Africa. If you're at the top of the pile, who cares who is below...
I met a policeman at the airport and we were talking about such things. He said he was in the townships, speaking to an old man. The old man took his grand-daughter down the road to get some sweets, as any nice grand-dad would do all over the world. He was stopped by 2 youths witha knife and a gun. They ruffed him up and took the few rands he had on him... He then said to one them that he had taken one of their mothers to the hospital years before so she could give birth to one of these gangsters!! Apparently they gave the money back and left. Ja, this crime is hitting everyone the same.
That same policeman had a dog (a lovely retriever) with him and it was sniffing for exposives. While I was talking to him, the guys at the other end of the radio were calling for him. Someone had driven a municipal bus onto the road near all the police vans and then abandoned it. They wanted him to come and check for explosives. We shook hands and I wondered whether there was a real threat...
When our nurses go on strike they apparently stop people in desperate need of medical attention from getting into the hospitals. people have lost their lives as a result. I heard on the radio how one woman waited for 12 hours for an ambulance and lost her baby that she was trying to deliver. It's that sort of stuff that makes you want to get rid of nurses like that...
The baddies seem to all be running around and all of us lock ourselves away every night, with alarms etc...
A few weeks ago, while people were in a restaurant, they were all held up and apparently someone dropped a plate and there was shooting. Some got injured and one young guy got killed, it is really like the Wild West here at the moment.
All that I've told you above may seem distressing, and it is. It's just amazing
how we just adapt and get on with our lives. Yes, we're taking big risks on a daily basis, but this is our home and we're going to make the best of it, damn it we're going to get this thing right...
There are better and SAFER places in the world. I suppose at the moment we feel that having the grandparents part of our daughters life is worth the risk. We are so lucky to have them to help to look after her and she loves them all.
There are too many good people in this country of South Africa to let things slide too far. This will be the worst year, things will get better from here, they have to...
Planning a trip to the midlands in a few months time. A whole gang of us are staying in a lekka spot. Going on a few more trips, hunting and fishing as well in the next few months.
The weather in Durban is magic at the moment. Good to hear UK is having some nice weather too.
There is still an economic boom happening all over the country, not sure what is feeding this, but it's happening at an alarming rate.
Consider yourselves updated.
wow .. as always good to hear from you as well as somewhat sad as this is the first report back so wrought with the reality of crime

I truly truly hope the guys have the inclination to stop the downward spiral of the things happening because the very possibility of things going towards a Zim are not an attempt at mockery but something to be concerned about

Somewhere there has to be a turning point for the better and hopefully it comes sooner than never

God speed for you disting and may life treat you well

thanks as always for the feedback

ok:
[COLOR="Purple"]Hi Disting.... thanks for the feedback. I was talking to a Brit on Sunday and he couldn't believe it when I mentioned the crime. You hardly hear anything about it in the UK. It is scary ...... and sad! Sad

[/COLOR]
Hey , disting :
just as your post appeared , the mrs. has , yet again , been fantasising , about how much nicer "the weather" is in South Africa ;
even though we have recently had many a beautiful sunny day , with temperatures even into higher 20's ( 27-28 C expected in Brux today ) !
Then again , she usually means : Highveld weather , not Cape in the winter , with its horizontal rain ...
In my younger days , I used to say that weather is a Factor , not a Reason , when choosing a place to live - much as the price may be a factor , but not the reason , in buying or selling one's home...
Now , I must jis remember to show her your post , thanxxxx very much for your valued effort !
Great to hear your reports from Durbs Disting.

Tannie Evita is someone I miss - the shows were always great!

All the best
Just adding to the above post regarding crime etc.
Last week I had an intruder in my yard. I have some gadgets (http://www.roboguard.co.za) that beep if someone is in the garden. A few sensors that use radio waves to talk to a unit in the bedroom. Anyway, looking out of the window at midnight, there he walked slowly, in my outside spotlights. I didn't know how many and if they were armed (there have been armed robberies lately). I immediatley pushed the alarm panic button to set the siren off which appenrently scared him (them) off. A frightening thing, but glad I could react. I waited for the security company and we did a check of the property, heart pounding... Oh, and the police even arrived, good to see some sort of response. I thanked them for making an appearance (not common)
I drove around the neighbourhood, and met some security guys who said there were about 4 doing the rounds. I saw my mate from the nearby neighbourhood (http://www.suncellwatch.co.za) who was also driving around. Anyway headed home. Later, at about 2 am he smsed to say that more breakins down the road, I phoned and said that I was back in bed...
Then I remembered that Craig had come to my assistance on a few previous occassions, I thought I had better go and assist. Got in my car and went down the road to where he described. The local residents of that area (edging some industrial area) were running after the intruders. They were all black guys, and this gang had robbed them of some of their stuff. I suggested that they don't just chase after them on foot (one had just underpants on..) because they could be armed etc. "One just had some scissors" was his reply... Anyway, between this local batch of residents and myself and Craig from SCW, and three security vans, we played cat and mouse with this gang. They went back and forth, jumping over walls and trying to escape. Eventually we went down to the original spot and the locals had caught one of these 20 year olds. Let me just say that there was no mercy, and fortunately they were only kicking him etc. I think if there were rocks and that sort around, he would have got that too. I have been geting angry about this sort of thing, but something held me back from joining in. Bear in mind that there were no police around during this half hour escapade. I decuded to leave, didn't want to be a part of it. I tried the local police station, the number was still engaged, had tried a few times earlier. I eventually phoned the 10111 emergency number and asked the police to come, matters were being taken into peoples own hands.
I phoned Craig the next day who said that a policeman had arrived and who was apparently not too light handed on a second guy that was caught...There were originally 5 so 3 got away..
Anyway, a pity we have to get involved in such things, but it is getting quite bad. I've had text messages the last few nights about another nearby neighbourhood where a gang of 6 armed men have been targeting a particular road. Unbelievable stuff, but am sure most of you won't hear about it...
So that's my choice at the moment, do I sit and wait for a late night surprise, or do I get involved, a hard decision, when I leave a young family when I go out there. But it is becoming apparent that the police very often are not part of the solution. I shouldn't have to make that decision, but that seems to be what it has come down too. I look forward to the day when most of the neighbourhood are chasing these guys, they may opt for neighbourhoods where they don't get chased.
As I type this I realise that that is a new thing to me. There have been just a few burglars doing their thing from time to time. It is now clear that this is something that is happening in larger numbers now...scary hey...
I'm not posting this to scare some of you off, I wish you would all come back en mass. I write this because things have genuinely been relatively good for the last few years, but something has changed and it seems like there is a free for all happening here. And it's happening in a way that there are lots of syndicates or something else is sparking this thing off. But there is too much smoke for there to be no fire when it comes to Police corruption, so I suppose the criminals have never had it easier. The cops are getting shot often, never used to be heard of.
I am hearing of farmers on the Zim border having to round up lots of illegal Zim people that have come through the fences. They hand them over to the police. And heres the rub....!!!!! The main radio host on SAFM has a representative from the farmers and he's asking why the farmers are rounding up these people.... Oh, and the local police say there is no crisis on the border !!! Imagine being a poor Zimbabwean, arrested in Zim for anything and arrested in SA for trying to get out of there... It would be funny if it wasn't so serious...
Ranting over...
On wednesday going down to the former Transkei and fishing for the weekend, should be very nice.
[COLOR="Purple"]Oh Disting... it is not good!

You are right, we hardly hear anything here in UK. My brother was visiting two weeks ago and he was telling me horror stories - really make me worry for my family!

What I did read on BBC online was that there will not be enough wine for 2010! Smile

Thanks for keeping us up to date - appreciate it. Stay safe.

Confusedue:[/COLOR]