South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Another virus notic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I received this from a friend from the States whose husband is an IT guy...

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi All,

I checked Norton Antivirus and they are gearing up for
this virus so I believe this is real.
I checked snopes.com and this is for real.

Get this sent around to your contacts ASAP, we don't need
this spreading around.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND
CONTACTS:

You should be alert during the next days: Do not open any
message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who
sent it,
It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole
hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who
has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should
send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message
25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a
friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been
classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for
this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc,
where the vital information is kept.
SEND THIS E- MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!
COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF
YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.

[/COLOR]
I found this on the Internet on the following Link:-
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl..._virus.htm.
Looks like it may be an oldie reborn??

Invitation' Virus Warning
Netlore Archive: The 'Invitation' virus alert is a hoax first sighted just prior to the opening of the 2006 Winter Olympics which warns of a computer virus taking the form of 'an Olympic torch which burns the hard disc'

Description: Virus hoax
Circulating since: Dec. 2005
Analysis: See below

Email example contributed by Julie F., 1 February 2006:

Virus Warning Please Read !!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: ****** VIRUS WARNING *****

Please read the attached warning issued today.
PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS:

You should be alert during the next days:

Do not open any message with an attached filed called "Invitation" regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW, COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS AND REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.

Comments: Hoax. The "Invitation" virus threat isn't real. No such file exists. According to antivirus vendor McAfee.com, this warning is a slightly revised version of anoher hoax message circulating since 2000 and purporting to deliver important information about the "A Virtual Card for You" or "Destroys Sector Zero" virus.

Please note, however, that even though many of the virus warnings passed around on the Internet are bogus, there exist thousands of actual computer viruses and Internet worms that constitute a real security threat to personal computers and networks worldwide. Your best protection against them is to maintain regularly updated antivirus software on your computer.

HH:cop:
:jive: :jive: :jive: :jive:
[COLOR="Blue"]There you go!

Interestingly enough a friend and I both received emails from people with the subject line "Invitation" from people we didn't know. Smile

[/COLOR]
I hope you didn't send the email to everybody you know, P...?

Smile
Ade Wrote:I hope you didn't send the email to everybody you know, P...?

Smile

Why?

Smile

:jive:
Pronkertjie Wrote:Why?
Whenever you get an email saying "send this to everyone you know" then that it a sure sign that you shouldn't.
The only things you should send to everyone are things that you would want to send to everyone, i.e. a good joke, or something you have found really useful.
I someone else tells you to, then bin it. It is amazing that virus hoaxes and such can keep on going around the world for years because people refuse to break the chain.
:dazed:
Ade Wrote:Whenever you get an email saying "send this to everyone you know" then that it a sure sign that you shouldn't.
The only things you should send to everyone are things that you would want to send to everyone, i.e. a good joke, or something you have found really useful.
I someone else tells you to, then bin it. It is amazing that virus hoaxes and such can keep on going around the world for years because people refuse to break the chain.
:dazed:

[COLOR="Purple"]Oh I am not very good in forwarding them... and when they have that last little sentence about something will definitely happen to me if I don't I even click the delete button faster!!!!!

But coming from someone that I thought might know I did send it to 4 people!

:jive:[/COLOR]