South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Linux ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just gotten my grubby little paws on a extra computer which I want to experiment with...

Now I am going to start from scratch by partioning the hard disk(s) and then want to install Linux...

Question number 1 is, do I use M$ to partion it ?

Then when I've done that how do I format it ? Again M$ ??? Sad

And finally where do I get hold of Linux and how do I get it onto the new PC considering that no cd-rom drivers will be installed... ???

party boy

hey you know what, ive never used Linux but when it comes to formatting etc im sure it will be something like Win XP. Probably need to go into the BIOS and choose boot from CDROM, then when u reset the computer it will boot from the CD and give u all the disk partioning and formatting stuff there, not sure what file system it would be, FAT32 or NTFS???
Have fun Jan, u wont look back, its all free.

http://www.linux.org/docs/beginner/install.html
Picanin .... help die man .... asseblief Big Grin

PS: Jan, help is on it's way (Professional LINUX help) Big Grin

picanin

Ja get yourself a copy of either Mandrake, Suse or Redhat. Then just do as PB says and boot from the CD Rom. The software will do all! Be ware though that the partition scheme willbe different to that used by MS. You will have at least the following partitions created /(root partition), /home(where the users home files reside), /usr and /swap. The software will have wizards that will guide you along the way. I am currently using Redhat 9 which is actualy simpler than XP to install.

Jan if you can try Mandrake as that is the most newbie friendly distro out.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Ja get yourself a copy of either Mandrake, Suse or Redhat. Then just do as PB says and boot from the CD Rom. The software will do all! Be ware though that the partition scheme willbe different to that used by MS. You will have at least the following partitions created /(root partition), /home(where the users home files reside), /usr and /swap. The software will have wizards that will guide you along the way. I am currently using Redhat 9 which is actualy simpler than XP to install.

Jan if you can try Mandrake as that is the most newbie friendly distro out.

Hi Jan

Do as Picanin says. I did and as he says it installs itself. I installed Redhat 9 and now have a dual boot system. I set it to boot up windows first by default after a time lapse. If not just select Linux and away you go.

All that said I have it working OK except for the internet connection. At first it was the onboard modem. I then acquired a second standalone modem which worked OK to start with. But since then I am still trying to iron out some bugs. The rest of the system is very stable and a pleasure to use, once you get used to it's "nuances".

Go for it, I'm sure you'll love it.

Good luck

HH

:thumbs: Confusedunny:

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Bandit
Justa dumb question. Where does one actually get a copy of the software? Do you download it for free or what?

Bandito you can download it for free or you can buy it with manuals and support included. Do a search on google for the best places to download your chosen distro. However........... buy or get a copy off your mate unless you have broadband as it is generally at least 3 CD's worth so a few hours download at least!
Quote:Originally posted by Bandit
Justa dumb question. Where does one actually get a copy of the software? Do you download it for free or what?

Also check it out on eBay. I've seen the different varieties going for a song.

Good hunting

HH
Cool Confusedunny:

whirlpool

Pics justa nudder dumb question, do ms apps run on top linux os? or do you have to source all of them as well.

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
Pics justa nudder dumb question, do ms apps run on top linux os? or do you have to source all of them as well.

WP no they dont - thats the short answer. You can get them to do so by using a package called Wine which runs on top of Linux and then allows you to run the Windows apps but to be honest I ahve never tried it as Linux has all the software I need. However, what MS apps are you talking about? If it just the usual bumf like Office then Open Office will do everything that most users want office to do and for free!

Just to clarify one thing. It may seem like a lot - 3CD's. But those cd's will include more software than you will ever use. The 3 Redhat CD's included OpenOffice and so within a very short time I had a perfect office machine which ahd all the software I needed on it and was automatically connected to the network.
Pages: 1 2