South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Mixed Spice anyone???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can some one point me in the right direction for a recipe on how to make mixed spice?

Looked on the web but the mixture I tried was not too succesful. We battle to find it in Germany but most raw ingredients are available, so I figured we could DIY.

Also what about Allspice??

Tks Jim
Quote:Originally posted by jimswin
Can some one point me in the right direction for a recipe on how to make mixed spice?

Looked on the web but the mixture I tried was not too succesful. We battle to find it in Germany but most raw ingredients are available, so I figured we could DIY.

Also what about Allspice??

Tks Jim

cant help with the recipe...sorry...but wots the difference between mixed spice and allspice? Rolleyes

Jemlet

Quote:Originally posted by suep
cant help with the recipe...sorry...but wots the difference between mixed spice and allspice? Rolleyes

Allspice:
: the berry of a West Indian tree (Pimenta dioica) of the myrtle family; also : the allspice tree
2 : a mildly pungent and aromatic spice prepared from allspice berries

and mixed spice is a blend of sweet spices. These are the spices that make up mixed spice but I have no idea of the proportions

Coriander Seed, Cinnamon, Caraway Seed, Cassia, Nutmeg, Ginger, Cloves.

Jemlet

here is a google link which may help jimswin Smile

http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2000/may/he...ures3.html
Quote:Originally posted by Jemlet
here is a google link which may help jimswin Smile

http://www.recipelink.com/ch/2000/may/he...ures3.html

Thanks Jem, now it is only the allspice we have to find in Deutschland.

It's other name (at least here in Dublin) is pimiento. Mind you, that is also the name of a chilli pepper, so make sure you are buying the correct thing.

Alternatively I can send you some - it is cheap enough here and if sent whole will keep indefinitely.

As to herb and spice blends, I have a book at home that gives a wealth of different recipes - I will check for mixed spice and also give you the name and author of the book - may prove a good investment for you if you are having difficulty finding particular mixes.
mixed spice: Mixture of sweet flavoured ground spices, normally:

Allspice, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Cloves

Allspice:
is a spice made from Jamaican pepper, Myrtle pepper and Pimento. It sometimes has cloves, cinnamon and ginger added in

Morning Jim
This time of year you should be able to buy Piment from the markets such as Auer Duldt (the Mai Duldt should be on now). They have them at little stands where you can buy huge varieties of spices, herbs, curries etc.
Otherwise find a chinese/ asian shop, they should have it.
Happy cooking. If all else fails, give me your address and I will send some.
Mixed Spice:

1/2 stick cinnamon
1 tbsp allspice (pimento)
1 tbsp coriander seed
2 tsp cloves
4 blades mace
2 tsp grated nutmeg

Grind the whole spices to a fine powder and mix with the nutmeg. Store in an airtight container for 2 - 3 months.

ISBN 0-7513-3741-2