South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Suggested new book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay here goes - let me get the ball going for a new book. Can we choose one from the list below. So please submit which ones interest you !!! OR if none do then please submit a few titles so we can get going soon. -- Smile

The Da Vinci Code
Dan Brown

For details see dudette's synopsis in the BBC 100 list. I have heard this is a good book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
Mark Haddon

The title The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (or the curious incident of the dog in the night-time as it appears within the book) is an appropriate one for Mark Haddon's ingenious novel both because of its reference to that most obsessive and fact-obsessed of detectives, Sherlock Holmes, and because its lower-case letters indicate something important about its narrator.
Christopher is an intelligent youth who lives in the functional hinterland of autism--every day is an investigation for him because of all the aspects of human life that he does not quite get. When the dog next door is killed with a garden fork, Christopher becomes quietly persistent in his desire to find out what has happened and tugs away at the world around him until a lot of secrets unravel messily.
Haddon makes an intelligent stab at how it feels to, for example, not know how to read the faces of the people around you, to be perpetually spooked by certain colours and certain levels of noise, to hate being touched to the point of violent reaction. Life is difficult for the difficult and prickly Christopher in ways that he only partly understands; this avoids most of the obvious pitfalls of novels about disability because it demands that we respect--perhaps admire--him rather than pity him.

***Heard only good things about this book, it is different -- so maybe it is not everyone's cuppa tea***

Notes on a Scandal
Zoe Heller

Zoe Heller juggles journalism and novel-writing successfully in Notes on a Scandal and manages to say something interesting and complex about moral panics and the people who get caught up in them.
Pottery teacher Sheba lets herself be talked into an affair with 15-year-old pupil Connolly; part of what is admirable about this novel is that there is no real attempt to extenuate this--it's wrong and she knows this from the start, enough to lie to herself and others about it. It's an abuse of her very limited power--he is one of the few of her pupils interested in art, not interested in perpetually disrupting her lessons.
Sheba is not alone in abusing power, though, and Heller forces us to confront this unpleasant truth about the moralising, managerial headmaster, the husband freed by Sheba's action to seduce his own very slightly older students, and the relatives who never liked her much and can now disown her. Above all, she devotes most of the novel to Barbara, the older colleague who becomes Sheba's confidante and slowly manipulates the situation to make Sheba entirely dependent on her. This is a brilliantly gloomy study in obsession--and the obsession in question is not actually Sheba's with her underage lover. --Roz Kaveney
Synopsis
When the new teacher first arrives, Barbara immediately senses that this woman will be different from the rest of her staff-room colleagues. But Barbara is not the only one to feel that Sheba is special, and before too long Sheba is involved in an illicit affair with a pupil. Barbara finds the relationship abhorrent, of course, but she is the only adult in whom Sheba can properly confide. So when the liaison is found out and Sheba's life falls apart, Barbara is there...

Child of My Heart
Alice McDermott

Fifteen is a year of clarity; you're still one of the kids, but you're finally beginning to unlock the mysteries of adult behavior. In her luminous novel Child of My Heart, Alice McDermott's narrator is a 15-year-old girl who has two qualities that give her access to the secret lives of adults: she's beautiful, and she looks after their children. Her beauty has already shaped her life. Her parents have moved the family to the east end of Long Island in hopes of finding her a wealthy husband, or at least a fancy crowd to run with. Here she babysits the children of the rich, whose fathers demonstrate their relative decency by making passes at her, or not. The novel spans a dreamy summer as our heroine spends her days with her various charges at the beach, happily leading her crew on home-grown, rather sweet adventures. Among the kids she looks after is a toddler whose father is a famous, aging artist. The narrator's preternatural acuity is apparent in this exchange with a new client: "Mrs. Richardson learned by direct inquiry that I lived in that sweet cottage with the dahlias (interested) and went to the academy (more interested) and babysat for this child of the famous artist (most interested) down the road." Child of My Heart is a pretty straightforward coming-of-age novel, but it's marked throughout by this beautifully honed, wry, knowing tone. McDermott's narrator reminds us that our lost innocence might not have been so innocent after all.

Icecub

Well Nikkinaz, i think because we tried yours, we should give the one Dudette suggested a go....:thumbs:
You are right we can do Dudette's book.

Cool, I will get the Da Vinci Code first...! we can do this one then perhaps someone might want something from this list or hopefully will make a suggestion cause sometimes it can take a while to get hold of the book.

I was hoping to get at least another title going even though it will most probably only be read in May or there abouts. So let us start to "think" about a 2nd one. We can go for one from your list too, just give me the title... Big Grin

To be honest I already have the Da Vinci Code, so I am for once all set ! My Ma got it out the library the other day so I will pinch her copy before she reads it. I am just raring to go..... Wink !

Dudette, how far are you with this one ?
I would go with either 1 or 3, but not 2 . Lets see what everyone else thinks.

I haven't started the Da Vinci Code yet... will get started soon.
Smile
Dudette's book sounds good:thumbs:
Cool, so far the members have decided to read Da Vinci code I shall start mine this weekend. Lekker !

Thanks Dudette !...