South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: May's Book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by nikkinaz
Can I take it we will be reading His 'n' Hers by Mike Gayle ?
So I can put my order in ?

yes i ordered mine...will have to start swapping or visiting the library soon..i am going bankrupt..Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
yes i ordered mine...will have to start swapping or visiting the library soon..i am going bankrupt..Smile

It will become expensive, won't it?

Looks like Nikki might get her way eventually and get me to join the *shudder* library!Wink

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by Pam M

Looks like Nikki might get her way eventually and get me to join the *shudder* library!Wink

that is what i am finding difficult....the library here is apparently not good.....Rolleyes Rolleyes
Just looked at the website - it seems it's on my library's shelf, just waiting for me!

Best hurry on over... Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M

Ha, ha I knew it I knew it !!! I will convert you by the end of the week.

My library does not seem to have it Sad so I am going to have to go in and see what I can do.
Just got my copy in - brand new I am the first to read it ! Will start after I have read the Bookseller of Kabul...after all it is not yet May and I am jumping the gun a bit Smile

They say Sunday and Monday lots of rain - so get reading all snug and curled up with a book.Big Grin

Icecub

Another new one to try:

Name all the animals by Alison Smith

While her devoutly catholic parents wrestle with their faith and their grief, Alison makes visitors coffee, goes back to school, and - being all her parents have left - copes.

Or so she tells herself. Alongside the life people see run her private rituals of mourning - she hoards food for her brother, and hides in the garden fort they'd built together, waiting for him to return.

Eventually, Alison finds her own way to survive: a startling taboo first love that helps her discover a world beyond being "the girl whose brother died". And whose raw shocks bring her up against the fact that she really hasn't coped at all.

So this is in part a book about grief - living with it and failing to recognise it - but it is also a love story: about Alison's love of her brother, of her childhood, and finally of life. NAME ALL THE ANIMALS is a beautiful, absolutely compelling portrait of innocence struggling with loss.
Okay, so I finished His 'n Hers today. Thought it was a lovely book. Nothing spectatular, but an enjoyable read. I have another of his books, and they are both about the same. I am glad I got it, but I do not think I will be re-reading it again anytime soon.....

What did you all think?
Hey there Pam, have not yet started the book thought I would a couple of days ago and been quite busy; so still finishing off the novel I said I was reading at the begining of the month. :dazed:

I am being awfully slow this month, but hopefully I shall get it started BEFORE the weekend and can give you my verdict early next week. Rolleyes

Ja, and I was the one who was getting started with the May book way in end of April! (Mind you - you are a quick reader Wink)
I've finally finished my Henry VIII and his 6 wives book - rather interesting, if that's your thing,... and got His 'n her's from the library today. I'm the first to read it too! Big Grin Looks quite interesting, in diary form - shouldn't take me long Smile

Pam, why not make your comments on it in its own thread? Then we can all add our own opinions as we finish it too.

(just a suggestion Smile )

I read the blurb for Lovely Bones today, and I might read that too. Hmmmm so many books, so little time!! Wink
Pages: 1 2 3