South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: May's Book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know a few people are still waiting to get the Da Vinci code, and perhaps I am plowing on ahead too fast...but here was hoping we would all get a book +/- the same time and read it within the same month. Da Vinci was for April....

Any suggestions for May ? Or can I go ahead and look for a few titles...??? Please get back to me.
I have no preference for books at the moment.
I still have to read Jeffrey Deaver's 'The Vanished Man', and David Starkey's 'Six Wives, Queens of Henry VIII'(non-fiction), so depending on how those go I might or might not get involved in May's reading.
I do agree that we should limit ourselves to one book a month, thereby not overstretching ourselves.
How about the next one be totally different - the last two have been murder-mysteries ... what about the first of your previous suggestions? I'll look it up again and get back to you.

Smile
I am happy to get maybe 2 books a month. I also agree with you Dudette, time to move away from the thrillers, and time for something lighthearted!Wink

Icecub

i have a list...just bare with me, i shall type them up later...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
i have a list...just bare with me, i shall type them up later...Smile

Thanks Cubbie - we might need to talk re me getting these books - if they are available in the local bookstores that's great, if they have to be ordered online I might need to provide an address in the UK as they seem to take forever to deliver to Ireland.

Icecub

1. The White Stuff by Simon Armitage

"Thorny issue of how men and women communicate in very different ways. Abbie is apporaching her 40th and wants a baby, Felix her husband wants a baby is that is what Abbie wants."

Got a good review from Good Housekeeping this month...

2. Bergdorff Blondes by Plum Sykes

"A tale of park-Avenue princesses and their shopping expeditions, charity balls, search for rich fiancees and high-maintenance lifestyles"

3. A sari Shop by Rupa Bajwa

When Ramchand, a shop assistanct, takes wedding saris to a wealthy family his life is turned upside down. This beautiful debut charts his struggle to better himself and escape drudgery.

So far that is what i have....am busy looking for others....but i think i like the Sari Shop.....Smile

some more...

4. The Heartbreaker by Susan Howatch

The City of London in the 1990s is a dark, adrenaline- charged square mile deep in recession, where sex is just another commodity and keeping one's integrity is a daily struggle. Gavin Blake is riding high. He's up to his neck in money, sex and sleaze, but he's young, and handsome and he's making a lot of money. Carta Graham wants nothing more than to forget her life as a high- flying lawyer, so she's buried herself in a fund-raising project for the City Church of St Benet's. When she meets Gavin, she thinks the only thing they share is a temporary sexual attraction, but she's wrong. They are about to change each other's lives forever. For Gavin comes to see that in order to survive he must escape from the harrowing world he inhabits. His fight for freedom will be hard and fierce, but Carta, searching for her own freedom from the past, is with him every step of the way.

5. His 'n' Hers by Mike Gayle

Jim and Alison have been together on-and-off for a decade. Having successfully navigated their relationship through student gigs to candle-lit dinner parties, they have finally split up. And divided their 22 shared items (including a double-bed, a microwave, a ring, a toaster, an Oasis album, a car and a 5ft tall rubber plant) into his 'n' hers. Now with the help of a relationship counsellor, they embark on a journey through the past to the present leading them to the biggest decision of their adult lives.
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
1. The White Stuff by Simon Armitage

"Thorny issue of how men and women communicate in very different ways. Abbie is apporaching her 40th and wants a baby, Felix her husband wants a baby is that is what Abbie wants."

Got a good review from Good Housekeeping this month...

Sounds interesting

2. Bergdorff Blondes by Plum Sykes

"A tale of park-Avenue princesses and their shopping expeditions, charity balls, search for rich fiancees and high-maintenance lifestyles"
Hmmm... not quite to my taste...
3. A sari Shop by Rupa Bajwa

When Ramchand, a shop assistanct, takes wedding saris to a wealthy family his life is turned upside down. This beautiful debut charts his struggle to better himself and escape drudgery.

So far that is what i have....am busy looking for others....but i think i like the Sari Shop.....Smile

some more...
also interesting..
4. The Heartbreaker by Susan Howatch

The City of London in the 1990s is a dark, adrenaline- charged square mile deep in recession, where sex is just another commodity and keeping one's integrity is a daily struggle. Gavin Blake is riding high. He's up to his neck in money, sex and sleaze, but he's young, and handsome and he's making a lot of money. Carta Graham wants nothing more than to forget her life as a high- flying lawyer, so she's buried herself in a fund-raising project for the City Church of St Benet's. When she meets Gavin, she thinks the only thing they share is a temporary sexual attraction, but she's wrong. They are about to change each other's lives forever. For Gavin comes to see that in order to survive he must escape from the harrowing world he inhabits. His fight for freedom will be hard and fierce, but Carta, searching for her own freedom from the past, is with him every step of the way.

5. His 'n' Hers by Mike Gayle

Jim and Alison have been together on-and-off for a decade. Having successfully navigated their relationship through student gigs to candle-lit dinner parties, they have finally split up. And divided their 22 shared items (including a double-bed, a microwave, a ring, a toaster, an Oasis album, a car and a 5ft tall rubber plant) into his 'n' hers. Now with the help of a relationship counsellor, they embark on a journey through the past to the present leading them to the biggest decision of their adult lives.

Of the lot, no 5 sounds most intersting.
What do the rest of you think?
I will got with no 5 - a real chick lit and looks like a light hearted fun read.
I agree with you guys - no. 5 sounds great!!
Can I take it we will be reading His 'n' Hers by Mike Gayle ?
So I can put my order in ?
Pages: 1 2 3