South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What was your favourite book as a child ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which book (s) did you love when you were little ?

And are there any books which to this day you still appreciate as an adult ?

.........................................................................................................
I would say that I was an Enid Blyton fan, as well as Roald Dahl. (Almost forgot Judy Blume for those pre teen years !)

And the book I appreciate most as an adult is Charlottes Web - it is such a beautiful story with all the elements of life in it.

Icecub

I loved the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton, it allowed me to dream and think of faraway places to visit one day...and here i am!!

Also Alice in Winderland, i was so fascinated with that book!!

Others i enjoyed were alot of series such as What Katy did next!! That made alot of impact on my life.

I especially try and let my son read what i liked as a child as i know he would enjoy it, like the famous five, but he finds them boring, i am not surprised with the amount of books they have today in the bookshop for the kids...:thumbs: :thumbs:
I must admit I am not much of a reader, but when I do find a book I don't put it down until it is finished - shame my poor family gets nothing out of me. As a child I was into more poetry than reading a story, I still have a Robert L. Stevenson Book of Poems given to me by my late brother when I was very young, which today our younger daughter enjoys, even though some of the poems are a bit young for her, she reads it over and over again. Our younger daughter loves reading and I think her all time favourites would have to be Little Woman, Anne of Green Gables and The Little Princess.
The Magic Faraway Tree was also my favourite among Enid Blyton's books, but I loved all her books. Also Beverley Cleary's books on Ramona, and I did enjoy the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe series.
Also, the Nancy Drew books and the Wilbur Price books. My daughter has enjoyed the same books I did as a child, and I find especially special if she actually reads the very same book that I've kept from my childhood. She reads much much more than I ever did, and that's saying a lot!
Smile

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
I loved the Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton, it allowed me to dream and think of faraway places to visit one day...and here i am!!

Also Alice in Winderland, i was so fascinated with that book!!

Others i enjoyed were alot of series such as What Katy did next!! That made alot of impact on my life.

I especially try and let my son read what i liked as a child as i know he would enjoy it, like the famous five, but he finds them boring, i am not surprised with the amount of books they have today in the bookshop for the kids...:thumbs: :thumbs:

DITTO Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
my mommy read it to me from about 4 and told me stories about my curtainsBlush
guess what. we read a chapter of it every night before bedtime. and also the secret 7 and famous five and noddy
loved Enid and still do.
others later but as a child growing up...
i also have a library of books that i have handed down to them
it is the one thing i do not say no too if the kids ask, and thats buying books.
nice thread:thumbs: :thumbs:

Avo

I went through the usual detective stories such as Famous Five. Secret Seven, Hardy Boys, and Nancy Drew. Looooved them all!! But my all time favourite has to be the series of 4 little books I got from my very special Gran, about a little black and white cat, called Nicholas Thomas. Poor little chap was always in trouble, but I absolutely adored the stories. At the end of 1984 I got an adorable kitten from the SPCA, and because he looked like my fictional favourite I called him ... you guessed ... Nicholas-Thomas. With his full name being Nicholas-Thomas Guthrie he sounded awfully oo-la-la :thumbs:

I still have these books ... waiting at my folks place in SA for me to get them across here ...