South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Ie 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since installing Internet Explorer 6 at the weekend, I seem to have had nothing but trouble while browsing. One site in particular that I use that requires a security certificate just 404's on me every time I try and visit it.

Anyone else having problems or can let me know where to download a copy of IE5?

Many thanks
G
Quote:Originally posted by Mark
Hope this helps

http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/IE55.html

Cheers for this boet

Will have a look

@$%£*! Microsoft!!!
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Since installing Internet Explorer 6 at the weekend, I seem to have had nothing but trouble while browsing. One site in particular that I use that requires a security certificate just 404's on me every time I try and visit it.

Anyone else having problems or can let me know where to download a copy of IE5?

Many thanks
G

I have IE6 on my system but never use it for obvious reasons. Why not try OPERA 7. I use it and it's brilliant. It's not "Bloatware" like IE6 is. And there are a host of other user friendly features as well. For details check out their website at http://www.opera.com/ where you can either choose between the freebie version or buy the "Ad Free" version. By the way the free version with ads is not intrusive, I use it without problems. I run with the Popup Stopper set so I never get popup windows unless I choose to have them. As for the ads, they only appear in the top right hand corner.

Why not give it a try and rid yourself of future problems. The only downside I have experienced is when sometimes loading a CD-Rom magazine coverdisk which insists on running with IE6 then I have to concede but all other times I use Opera.

Good Luck

HH
Confusedunny: :thumbs: :mrburns:
Opera is ok...tried it myself, have since gone back to IE6 though..

Anyway, an alternative is to run a windows update through microsofts website...

Sometimes the Security certificates and especially the Java stuff is missing, and unless these are updated you will get error pages..
Another browser which is really good is Mozilla... Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff

Whats wrong with Netscape? Used to work very well, but I don't see it mentioned here.

Nothing wrong with Netscape, they have actually been partnering with Mozilla. The engine behind Mozilla is netscape technology...

Anyhoo...as for your pc slowing down can be becuase there is a dormant virus/worm which is reloading itself into the sys mem...

This happened to me while I had win98 2nd on my pc...Ended up having to reinstall everything, so wise decision there.
I use Avant as a browser, was advised to use it by the guy that fixed my pc as it blocks pop-ups as well!Wink
Ok my bit (damn you Bill - pay me now ! )

I have used Internet Explorer 1 up to 6.

Tips : Always do ALL the Windows Updates and you should be ok.

I have used Opera - it was fantatstic in SA on broadband and absolutely useless here.

Remember "poor" FBI has a 56k dail up - during the day it is 14 400 bps (yes bokkie kry my jammer) and at night "boosts" to 33 600 Big Grin

I think all the "nice stuff" on Opera slows it down.

What has definately slowed me down PomBok is since I loaded is "Norton Internet Security" ... it really works but damn it slowed my down ... completely ! (and that is sommer overall as well) Wink
Quote:Originally posted by FlyingBok
Ok my bit (damn you Bill - pay me now ! )

I have used Internet Explorer 1 up to 6.

Tips : Always do ALL the Windows Updates and you should be ok.

I have used Opera - it was fantatstic in SA on broadband and absolutely useless here.

Remember "poor" FBI has a 56k dail up - during the day it is 14 400 bps (yes bokkie kry my jammer) and at night "boosts" to 33 600 Big Grin

I think all the "nice stuff" on Opera slows it down.

What has definately slowed me down PomBok is since I loaded is "Norton Internet Security" ... it really works but damn it slowed my down ... completely ! (and that is sommer overall as well) Wink
So Norton could have been the cause of all my problems after all!!!

I do regular Windows updates ( only critical updates though)... is that correct or not?

:dazed:
Pages: 1 2