South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: pc... slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the reason why it sometimes takes such a long time to "open up" new threads/web sites???
Is it perhaps the browser or just that the Net is very busy? I often do defragmenting/scan checks etc.

Also earlier on tonight my cursor froze again (with the hand sign) which wouldn't move so I had to reboot. Is this maybe because I was becoming impatient & clicked on something else before the other had loaded?

Just curious.
Quote:Originally posted by Curio
What is the reason why it sometimes takes such a long time to "open up" new threads/web sites???
Is it perhaps the browser or just that the Net is very busy? I often do defragmenting/scan checks etc.

Also earlier on tonight my cursor froze again (with the hand sign) which wouldn't move so I had to reboot. Is this maybe because I was becoming impatient & clicked on something else before the other had loaded?

Just curious.

Hi Curio

Try doing ctrl,alt,delte just once. A box should pop up which is all the programmes you have running. Sometimes when too many programmes are going it causes your pc to freeze. There are so many things that can cause this problem though.
Hi Curio
Having had so much problems with this old computer of mine but not seeing the need to buy a new one, I had someone check it out on Friday.
He found a lot of virusses, Trojan horses and worms, this despite the fact that I have Norton antivirus running all the time, updates daily and scanning for virusses daily...

Perhaps that can be the problem on your side too...Sad
Thanks for the replies Angelbabe & Joan. I also have Norton anti-virus. Isn't Norton supposed to pick up any problems? I update every week.
I always try to "maintain" my pc as best as I can.
Am always willing to learn more though.
Thanks for the replies Angelbabe & Joan. I also have Norton anti-virus. Isn't Norton supposed to pick up any problems? I update every week.

Hi curio

I hear that Norton is a very good product, but I have had nothing but problems with it so I now use AVG. All the boffs I have spoken to and things I have read have said that norton does slow your pc down somewhat. Since I uninstalled it I have not had any problems with speed....
Angelbabe, When doing ctrl,alt,delete, and the pop up box comes up, what should be in that box? Sometimes I have noticed (so & so is not responding) so then I "end task" ... but what are the important ones"?
Another thing I'd like to ask .......Should one go to "Windows update" & download recommended or critical updates? The reason I am asking is that my pc seemed to be fine & then I "updated" and then scanned with "Adaware" & "Registry Mechanic" & it found quite a few problems.
Thank You for all your help.
Curio.
I recently downloaded the free edition of AVG. (Thanks for the tip Angelbabe).
Can I still run my Norton Anti Virus as well? After all it is a paid for subscription.
Now with having 2 anti virus programmes running, will there be any conflict??
Thanks for any advice.
Smile Curio.
I recently downloaded the free edition of AVG. (Thanks for the tip Angelbabe).
Can I still run my Norton Anti Virus as well? After all it is a paid for subscription.
Now with having 2 anti virus programmes running, will there be any conflict??
Thanks for any advice.
Smile Curio.

I dont know what the pc boffs would say, but i would disable norton and see how your pc goes. Norton *sucks* resources.

Hi curio

this is a very usefull thing to see exactly what is on your pc

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html When you download it, it scans your pc and gives you all the details of what hardware, software programmes you have on your pc. When you have downloaded it and it has scanned your pc, save a copy and send it to me as an atachment. I will pm you my addy.

Here is also a link to a site that explains everything u need or may not need to run. It is an alphabetical list.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_...sklist.htm

Then there is also programmes that load when you start you pc. a lot of them are not essential. go to start, then run...type in msconfig, press ok. this takes you to configuration utility and you will see a few tabs. select start up and there is a list of all the programmes that are starting at boot up. there are boxes with ticks in them. deselect anything you dont want to start at bootup. By unticking any of these will not break anything....it just stops all these programmes from starting when u switch your pc on. you will have to restart the pc when you have unticked everything.
Thanks a lot for your advice/tips/help.
Much appreciated.
My pc seems to be doing a lot better lately.

Regards.
Curio.