South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just finished reading The Bookseller of Kabul. It was interesting and a good book. Icecub you should read this one as I am sure it will appeal to you...! (you mentioned you liked Middle Eastern cultures)

I found it at times, quite depressing to the way woman have to live in Afghanistan and this is all after the Taliban ! After a few hours of reading I found I had actually been transported to another world and was engrossed in the way people live and think. It is a book which depicts middle class life in Afghanistan and definitely shows you the human side of it all - I would never call this middle class though. A book which will make you think, especially if you are a woman. A thought provoking read !
Mmmm, I will leave that one for a rainy day when I am bored.....

Not my cup of tea.

Am still trying to get into the Davinci Code, but have been so busy running around lately that I have not had much time to read. It's mostly when I am about to sleep, and then I never manage more than 30 pages or so........:o

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by nikkinaz
Just finished reading The Bookseller of Kabul. It was interesting and a good book. Icecub you should read this one as I am sure it will appeal to you...! (you mentioned you liked Middle Eastern cultures)

I found it at times, quite depressing to the way woman have to live in Afghanistan and this is all after the Taliban ! After a few hours of reading I found I had actually been transported to another world and was engrossed in the way people live and think. It is a book which depicts middle class life in Afghanistan and definitely shows you the human side of it all - I would never call this middle class though. A book which will make you think, especially if you are a woman. A thought provoking read !

Yes, Nikki...i think i have that on my wish list, i suppse because being a woman we can relate to the hardships they endured and still are, it is very though provoking like u said..i totally immerse myself in such books as the culture fascinates me....Wink
4give me if there has been a thread already - i didnt see one
i rem'ber Richard and Judy talking of this bbok

i bought it yesterday and read half way thru (interuppted by cooking supper and tv and chatting ! Sad LOL ) - i am really enjoying it

it brings home what the women in Kabul/ Afganistan go thru - so fasinating yet annoying aswell
cannot wait to read more !
I've finished this over the weekend and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the description of the landscape and the day to day hardships of living with all that dust!!!

Brilliant book and I'm so extremely glad that I live in a Western culture. How do you keep your mouth with men like that. Poor people and even though they now have all the freedom they are brainwashed into wearing those Burka's and obeying men etc.
Check out this thread for comments too, (it does not matter if a book has already been discussed as we all are reading different books at different times).

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/show...r+of+kabul

I really enjoyed this book and I agree thank G-d I do live in Western Society !!!
tried to read abit of it last night but was constantly interruptd by rick, teh tv and the phone
i have brought it into work - i am going to sit in teh sun and read at lunchtime Smile