South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: the best boerewors outside SA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are a few things I miss from South Africa, a lot of them you can buy through the Saffer shops around the UK but i always found that wors never travelled well. While trawling through the net I found a place in Rochdale- quite a drive for us but DP is there once a month. It has to be said that this wors is some of the best i have had tasted, both in and out of SA.... even little one (a fussy eater) guards it with her knife (just incase Dad tries to swipe it much to hs pain:jester: ). Not too wet and not too dry. Made to order, whatever spice flavour you want and absolutely gorgeous. Had some tonight and the house smells wonderful. My local butcher has offered to make some but I am loathe to as i feel that the maker has to have the feel for the product.(one critera being a SafferWink ). The downsideis the DP has discovered droe wors (damn) he used to pull his nose up a it, not any more and now i don't get a look in

I was wondering whether anyone else has found a good boerewors stockist.
:bigcry: Is that enough of an answer :p
We get it, but at what effort and price? :wall:

We have a great supplier (saffer) in Belgium. But to get it, our SA club in Luxembourg has to get as many Saffers as possible to place a bulk order for the summer to make it worth everybodies while. This is then delivered to one point in Luxembourg, and we all collect from there. Some is not frozen, but the bulk of it is.

So we load a huge cooler box with ice, and drive 90km from Germany to Lux, to collect our supply a couple of times a year (and another 90km back) :innocent:

Plus one of the club members organizes a huge bulk Pick n Pay buy (not boerewors), once a year for some of the old club members.

:thumbs:
I found by accident a shop in Canvey Island (close to home) what a bargain, he makes the best garlic wors in the world. Prices are reasonable and just round the corner, what more can one want... I got hold of some snoek believe it or not, it is waiting for me at home, so excited a person will swear I have never seen or tasted a snoek before!

gwasi Wrote:There are a few things I miss from South Africa, a lot of them you can buy through the Saffer shops around the UK but i always found that wors never travelled well. While trawling through the net I found a place in Rochdale- quite a drive for us but DP is there once a month. It has to be said that this wors is some of the best i have had tasted, both in and out of SA.... even little one (a fussy eater) guards it with her knife (just incase Dad tries to swipe it much to hs pain:jester: ). Not too wet and not too dry. Made to order, whatever spice flavour you want and absolutely gorgeous. Had some tonight and the house smells wonderful. My local butcher has offered to make some but I am loathe to as i feel that the maker has to have the feel for the product.(one critera being a SafferWink ). The downsideis the DP has discovered droe wors (damn) he used to pull his nose up a it, not any more and now i don't get a look in

I was wondering whether anyone else has found a good boerewors stockist.
For a bit of boerewors is amazing!

Hagar Wrote:We get it, but at what effort and price? :wall:

We have a great supplier (saffer) in Belgium. But to get it, our SA club in Luxembourg has to get as many Saffers as possible to place a bulk order for the summer to make it worth everybodies while. This is then delivered to one point in Luxembourg, and we all collect from there. Some is not frozen, but the bulk of it is.

So we load a huge cooler box with ice, and drive 90km from Germany to Lux, to collect our supply a couple of times a year (and another 90km back) :innocent:

Plus one of the club members organizes a huge bulk Pick n Pay buy (not boerewors), once a year for some of the old club members.

:thumbs:
alwayssmilin Wrote:I got hold of some snoek believe it or not, it is waiting for me at home

howzit AlwaysGrinning

Can you PM me the details that are on the packaging for the snoek. I'd like to research it if possible.

Many thanks
:chef:
Cheffie Wrote:howzit AlwaysGrinning

Can you PM me the details that are on the packaging for the snoek. I'd like to research it if possible.

Many thanks
:chef:

aah Cheffie ..... still on the snoek quest? Smile
angelbabe Wrote:aah Cheffie ..... still on the snoek quest? Smile

Na. I grew up in Hout Bay and funnily enough, I knew where to buy it Wink
alwayssmilin Wrote:I found by accident a shop in Canvey Island (close to home) what a bargain, he makes the best garlic wors in the world. Prices are reasonable and just round the corner, what more can one want... I got hold of some snoek believe it or not, it is waiting for me at home, so excited a person will swear I have never seen or tasted a snoek before!

AS Where did you get it from? Also, is it expensive?