South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Have you ever read a book more than once?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:Originally posted by Mark
Ja Groundhog Day :p

:haha:

To answer the original question, I often reread books, even Agatha Christie...
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
:haha:

To answer the original question, I often reread books, even Agatha Christie...

O gonna Piet Jangar, must I send you some new books dear friend???????

I agree though about Catcher in the Rye, it was after all a book that sort of started the "teenage revolution"......... but like the books of John Irving (World according to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany, etc)....one has to read some more than once to really grasp the true meaning and/ or understanding.
Like The Foutain Head.............I do not know to this day whether I agree or disagee....... or even like the book!

Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
O gonna Piet Jangar, must I send you some new books dear friend???????

I agree though about Catcher in the Rye, it was after all a book that sort of started the "teenage revolution"......... but like the books of John Irving (World according to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany, etc)....one has to read some more than once to really grasp the true meaning and/ or understanding.
Like The Foutain Head.............I do not know to this day whether I agree or disagee....... or even like the book!

Wink

Maybe I should've mentioned that it is only good books I reread Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Maybe I should've mentioned that it is only good books I reread Wink
I know Jangar......

How else, you would not be able to find anything , would you......
btw, have you tidied that room yet???????

:o
[QUOTEbut like the books of John Irving (World according to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany, etc[/B][/QUOTE]

World According to Garp. One of my best books ever!! Read it first when I was about 12, and I have read it twice since then. Could not make myself watchthe movie, though. Thought it would ruin the book for me.Big Grin
Another book I dearly love and have read twice now, is: "Roots", by Alex Haley.

I battled for years to get a copy, as it is out of print. My stepmom knew I loved it, and found a secondhand copy for me one year. One of my best pressies ever. What a stunning book!
I regularly reread books. If there's a gap of several years between each read, you don't remember all the details. My favourite book, which I've probably read 3 times is "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Bradley.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I know Jangar......

How else, you would not be able to find anything , would you......
btw, have you tidied that room yet???????

:o

Still busy... LOL Threw away a few kg's of old bills and the like on Thursday, relegated a few books to the basement Sad so now the room is liveable.... Just have to sort out the boxes of 4 track tapes as well as connect the old casette player to the comp so that I can convert those classics to digital and hang my bokkie on the wall and and and and the list goes on... LOL

And as long as I can find the trivia questions everyone is happy Big Grin
Saints, by Orson Scott Card, is a book I thumb through whenever I need a bit of a spiritual lift.

Every book of Terry Pratchett and Anne McCaffrey has been read at least 3 times, usually a great deal more. For sheer escapism alone.

I love Lawrence G. Green books, and read one of his whenever I am feeling homesick and need to recapture something of the magic of my youth. The Africa he writes about is the Africa of adventure and mystery, exactly the kind of place I dreamt of as a kid.

There are others too that get read time and again, but the above is what I return to most frequently.
Pages: 1 2