South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: June's Book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hah! just thought I would get a thread started...Hey Bushbaby as Icecub said it is your turn to recommend a few for us to choose. Let us know so we can order it ahead of time. Smile
Looking forward to your suggestions, Bushbaby Big Grin
Ok, I decided to go for two books that I haven't read - so this is as much an experience for me as for everyone else taking part.

The two books that I have selected are both available at Amazon, so the further flung members of the bookclub should be able to get copies.

Seeing as it is summer, and the weather has been so fine (so far), I decided on these two titles, one very lighthearted, the other food for thought.

1. A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Amazon Book Description

In Terry Pratchett's A Hat Full of Sky Tiffany Aching--a hag from a long line of hags--is trying out her witchy talents again when she is plunged into yet another adventure, leaving home to be apprentice to a "real" witch. This time, will the thievin', fightin' and drinkin' skills of the Wee Free Men be of use or must Tiffany rely on her own abilities?

2. In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed by Carl Honore

Amazon Book Description

Across the western world more and more people are slowing down. Slower is better: better work, better productivity, better exercise, better sex, better food. DON'T HURRY, BE HAPPY.

Almost everyone complains about the hectic pace of their lives. These days, our culture teaches that faster is better. But in the race to keep up, everything suffers - our work, diet and health, our relationships and sex lives. Carl Honore uncovers a movement that challenges the cult of speed. In this entertaining and hands-on investigation, he takes us on a tour of the emerging Slow movement: from a Tantric sex workshop in London to a meditation room for Tokyo executives, from a SuperSlow exercise studio in New York, to Italy, home of the Slow Food, Slow Cities and Slow Sex movements.

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Ok, I decided to go for two books that I haven't read - so this is as much an experience for me as for everyone else taking part.

The two books that I have selected are both available at Amazon, so the further flung members of the bookclub should be able to get copies.

Seeing as it is summer, and the weather has been so fine (so far), I decided on these two titles, one very lighthearted, the other food for thought.

2. In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed by Carl Honore

Amazon Book Description

Across the western world more and more people are slowing down. Slower is better: better work, better productivity, better exercise, better sex, better food. DON'T HURRY, BE HAPPY.

Almost everyone complains about the hectic pace of their lives. These days, our culture teaches that faster is better. But in the race to keep up, everything suffers - our work, diet and health, our relationships and sex lives. Carl Honore uncovers a movement that challenges the cult of speed. In this entertaining and hands-on investigation, he takes us on a tour of the emerging Slow movement: from a Tantric sex workshop in London to a meditation room for Tokyo executives, from a SuperSlow exercise studio in New York, to Italy, home of the Slow Food, Slow Cities and Slow Sex movements.

this on sounds good...!!!
I've been meaning to read a Terry Pratchet book for ages, and the Carl Honore book looks interesting too...
Hmmm.... decisions, decisions... Smile
I'll go with the Terry Pratchet book. Sounds good!

Am busy reading Bare Bones by Kathy Reichs at the moment. Will go to bookshop in a few days and get A Hat Full of Sky, as well as Memoirs of a Geisha!
Hah ! Will go with the Terry Pratchett cause I have been meaning to read him for ages (hubby loves his books !)

Vote me in for A Hat full of Sky !!!
If it we are going to read the Terry Pratchett book - just to let you all know this one is in the Waterstone's 3 for 2 offer. So if you get this one, choose another one and woolah the 3rd will be free. Their selection is very good or that is the one in Oxford which must be countrywide.