South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Judging a book by it's cover ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What makes you choose a certain book if the author is unknow to you ?
I'll read the blurb to see what the book is about. Usually if it is only filled with comments by other people saying how wonderful the book is, I would be more wary of it.
I suppose in a way, I am influenced by the illustrations on the cover; Memoirs of a Geisha, for example, has the picture of an Oriental woman on a dreamy blueish type of background. I probably would not have read it if I hadn't heard of it many times beforehand.

Smile
I sometimes go to the library & browse but then I usually find myself looking at books of authors that I know. A friend of mine does a lot of reading & often tells me "I should read this or that".

So instead of judging a book by its cover, I tend to go for books that are recommended.
Unfortunately haven't been reading books as often as I used to.
I will have a look if the cover appeals to me, but when I have loads of time to spare, I will look at anything. If the synopsis is good, I will get it - irrespective of what the cover looks like!
I am pretty much the same - occasionally I will find a cover which looks appealing, it draws my eye - I will then read the blurb to see if it does appeal. So in some ways sometimes it is the cover which makes me end up getting a book. But there are also many times where the cover does not come into play, cause I know the author and want to read the book or I heard it was good. A good cover is always the best way to sell your book first I think !