South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Gordon Ramsay - Hells Kitchen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
who watched hells kitchen last night?
i missed the beginning and was trying to work out he point of teh program
didnt enjoy it half as much as kitchen nigthmares
Whoohoo...

another corker from Chef Ramsay!

Saw the programme tonight - excellent with Angus Deayton hosting it Wink

The point is to see a restaurant functioning 'live' and to see whether the 'celebs' can actually hack the heat in the kitchen... in aid of charity.

One thing for sure is Chef Ramsay is getting some great publicity... all hats off to his publicist :thumbs:

A great programme in the making and the fact that he has two of his Head Chefs in Angela Hartnett and Mark Sargeant presiding over the kitchen, along with Chef Ramsay himself... little do they know that they're probably being 'coached' by one of the hottest trio's in Modern Day British restaurants.

Looks to be a great piece of 'reality TV'...
Quote:Originally posted by jewels
who watched hells kitchen last night?
i missed the beginning and was trying to work out he point of teh program
didnt enjoy it half as much as kitchen nigthmares

I watched the beginning and it still didn't make much sense. There was no real introduction or explanation of this programme, the choice of contestants, preparation of contestants or real clarity on the end goal. I guess that leaves us about as confused as they seem to be. I noted that he has not really taught them to prepare the specific dishes they are cooking. He just yells at them and hopes osmosis will do the rest.
Twice in a row Chef Ramsay has called it quits during service!

For any Chef to refuse to serve anymore food takes a hell of a lot.. for Ramsay to do it twice in as many nights...

Well well.. I guess he has a little work to do with his slaves Wink Big Grin

BB,

I do believe that they all underwent some form of training for two weeks prior to the commencement of the filming etc.
They also have two very qualified and experienced Chefs in Mark Sargeant and Angela Hartnett, not to mention Chef Ramsay himself.

What we are seeing are the edited 'highlights' and mainly service. The Mise-en-Place or preparation that goes on during the day might be termed 'boring viewing'... the real fun happens when you finish the cooking 'a la minute' and you're performing a plated service.

Amazing how some of these celebrities just want to throw in the towel Rolleyes

One to watch.. Abi Wink

and the dude from Bros.
I am really enjoying this program and also the after show on ITV2 where you get to see a lot of live action.

They did have 2 weeks of training and every day they start at 08:30 with only a hour break so that they can prepare for the evening. I think it is up to the celebs what they make of it, many thought it would just be an easy way to learn how to cook - not so, all they will learn to cook is what is on the menu and as far as it being easy, well as cheffie will tell you, its not!!!

I think James (the gay guy from GIMME, GIMME) is doing an excellent job and he is really keen on getting things right. Amanda is completely potty and I have absolutely no idea why she is on the show, she's just not even interested!

Tonight its on ITV2 at 9 then ITV at 10 and back to ITV2 so guess what I'll be doing!!!!
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
Twice in a row Chef Ramsay has called it quits during service!

For any Chef to refuse to serve anymore food takes a hell of a lot.. for Ramsay to do it twice in as many nights...

Well well.. I guess he has a little work to do with his slaves Wink Big Grin

BB,

I do believe that they all underwent some form of training for two weeks prior to the commencement of the filming etc.
They also have two very qualified and experienced Chefs in Mark Sargeant and Angela Hartnett, not to mention Chef Ramsay himself.

What we are seeing are the edited 'highlights' and mainly service. The Mise-en-Place or preparation that goes on during the day might be termed 'boring viewing'... the real fun happens when you finish the cooking 'a la minute' and you're performing a plated service.

Amazing how some of these celebrities just want to throw in the towel Rolleyes

One to watch.. Abi Wink

and the dude from Bros.

Quite frankly I find that both sides are at fault. a) I suspect Mr. Ramsey is not the easiest human to work for, even when you are fully experienced and b) some of these celebs simply cannot take criticism, however gently delivered so are really struggling with this guy's delivery.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Quite frankly I find that both sides are at fault. a) I suspect Mr. Ramsey is not the easiest human to work for, even when you are fully experienced and b) some of these celebs simply cannot take criticism, however gently delivered so are really struggling with this guy's delivery.

I think what you are seeing is that none of what is said during service is personal.. or deemed a personal attack on an individual.

He has his work cut out for him by trying to transform these 'celebs' into something workable...

Granted any Chef worth his salt is considered difficult - they're just particualr in how they want certain things done and the end result to be perfect. If they wanted a third rate Chef to present it... perhaps they would have gotten the 21yr old initiate from 'Kitchen Nightmares'... but I don't think thatwould have pulled in the crowds Wink

One wonders when the E.H.O's (Environmental Health Officers) will be making a surprise appearance - too many 'mistakes' that could cause illness Wink

Have a look next time
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
I think what you are seeing is that none of what is said during service is personal.. or deemed a personal attack on an individual.

He has his work cut out for him by trying to transform these 'celebs' into something workable...

Granted any Chef worth his salt is considered difficult - they're just particualr in how they want certain things done and the end result to be perfect. If they wanted a third rate Chef to present it... perhaps they would have gotten the 21yr old initiate from 'Kitchen Nightmares'... but I don't think thatwould have pulled in the crowds Wink

One wonders when the E.H.O's (Environmental Health Officers) will be making a surprise appearance - too many 'mistakes' that could cause illness Wink

Have a look next time

A lot of what they do wrong just seems like lack of common sense. It has been quite an eye opener watching this show - either they are really dense (with a few exceptions) or I picked up more from my granddad and uncles than I thought (the whole lot were in the catering trade - we only have two left now, one on Phelophepa and one in Parliament).

Icecub

one thing that confuses me Rolleyes is they do not seem to have any recipes in front of them, how do they know what ingredients to add?? sorry if i am being thick here, but i am intrigues??Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
A lot of what they do wrong just seems like lack of common sense. It has been quite an eye opener watching this show - either they are really dense (with a few exceptions)

Perhaps they're not the sharpest tools in the shed... but then again one doesn't have to be to appear on TV Wink

Common sense I agree.. perhaps they've been pampered all their lives and never been talked to in such a 'way' Wink

Never too old to learn I guess..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7