South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Angela's Ashes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Originally posted by Persephone
I have not seen the movie as it never appealed to me but have just started reading the book...

I dont know if it's just me but I'm finding it really difficult to get into it - mostly because of the writers style of writing. Reading this book - although interesting - really hard work!

Anyone else find this?

Oh, that's a lovely book. It can be a bit slow, but you will probably find you get used to his style rather quickly. The movie was good, but nowhere as good as the book! I hope you enjoy it!
I loved "Angela's Ashes"! It probably rates as one of my favourite books. I laughed & cried & sometimes did both at the same time. If I ever had the priviledge of actually meeting Frank McCourt, I'd love to give him a big hug. Someone who lived through so much hardship & still managed to come out "normal" & with such a wonderful sense of humour is amazing! :thumbs: I also enjoyed the movie.

I've also read the sequel, "T'is". This I didn't enjoy as much as the first.
I read them both about three years ago... or was it two?
I found it a bit "boring" at stages, always the same struggle and the drinking of her husband, etc. But I suppose that is the real life for some people???:confused:
Enjoyed 'Angela's ashe's" and "Tis" and then read "A Monk Swimming" written by a brother.
My Mom refused to read "Tis" as she found "Angelas Ashes" incredibly depressing.
Quote:Originally posted by sooibrand
Enjoyed 'Angela's ashe's" and "Tis" and then read "A Monk Swimming" written by a brother.
My Mom refused to read "Tis" as she found "Angelas Ashes" incredibly depressing.

Yes,depressing and also much of a muchness, the same I found with A Boy Called It, then all the books that followed and that are still following.................some things in life are terribly sad and some of us can (or cannot) relate to it, but when you read the same thing over and over again , it becomes too much of a muchness for me, especially with the Dave Pelzer books........