South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Afrikaans books
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was in South Africa and I bought two Afrikaans books while I was there. Paid an arm and a leg for it but that is another issue.

The one books was a George Weideman boek called Draaijakkals and the other book is called Eilande.

I've really struggled to read both of these books and now I'm wondering if it is the type of books or can it be the language? Is my brain so used to reading in English now that it is struggling to read in Afrikaans?

When I read in English I zip through a book in about two days - these books was bought in April and I'm still trying to finish the one.

What is your thoughts on this?
I bought a stack of Dalene Matthee's books not so long ago. Now her writing style makes about the easiest reading you can get in Afrikaans. I struggled with the first book but after that got into the swing of things.

If you have not read in Afrikaans for a while, then you are bound to be rusty, but it could also have something to do with the writers use of this language. Some of Dalene's books were harder to get through than others, but I did find on average I took 3-4 days to read one of her books where I can digest an English book in 1-2 days.
I find this very amazing because Afrikaans is my mother tongue and therefore it should be easier to read but at the moment it's definitely a great struggle.

Dalene Matthee's books are really great - another excellent Afrikaans writer is Maritha van der Vyfer - once again you will struggle to get into the book but once you are in you just can not put the book down and the characters will stay with you long after you have finished the book.
I had the same problem when I was in SA with even reading the Afrikaans magazines. It took me a few weeks to adjust.... even hearing the news in Afrikaans had a different sound to it.

When I read Toorbos at the second half of the 10 weeks it was easier.

Smile