South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Elderflower Cordial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I decided that I am definately going to make Elderflower Cordial. The flowers are ready on the trees and Google gave me many recipes..... however, do you have one that is tried and tested, and yummy? Would you please share it with me.

:daisy:

Icecub

sorry Pronks i do not have a recipe but i am currently enjoying my fizzy flavoured watrler with elderflower and lime...lovely stuff....Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
sorry Pronks i do not have a recipe but i am currently enjoying my fizzy flavoured watrler with elderflower and lime...lovely stuff....Smile

We have lots of elderflower trees on our property and in the area, and I tasted very good home cordial last year, which make me want to give it a try..... Smile
Are you back home?
Quote:Originally posted by Surita
Are you back home?

:hooray: yes, I am!!!
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
am seeing someone who does elderflower cordial tomorrow. will ask her.

Thanks. I just made some last night and is about to pour it through the sift. It smells like the real thing. The flowers turned all brown and it looks a bit yukkie at the moment. Will let you know what it taste like.

Not a great colour, is it. Will improve.

If you sieve it through butter muslin it'll look a bit clearer and have fewer bits in it.

Went picking today. Am going to make some elderflower vinegar. Hope it works 'cause it is out of this world delicious.

Elderflower vinegar??? Have never heard of that. What do you use it for?

The cordial tastes VERY good! Great with sparkling water, ice and lemon pieces. I'm off picking some more tomorrow again.
As a salad dressing - with or without olive oil. And because it is so flavoursome in its own right it is good as an oil replacement on things like avocado, strawberries, etc.

The recipe said someting about diluting it in a drink - water or tonic water I suppose. My friend said it worked well - she was sceptical but pleasantly surprised.

Does your cordial recipe that doesn't include citric acid?

Both the cordial recipes I ahve do and I'd like one with no preservatives in it. Apparently if one needs to increase the lemon content but I don't know by how much.

Hi.... yes, it does include citric acid. All the recipes on the internet has citric acid in it. A friend made it from a very old recipe - I think she only uses one lemon while my recipe said two lemons. The recipe asks for 80g. of citric acid but I've only put 40g. in. It is a wonderful refreshing drink - great with sparkling water and lemon slices.

I offered it to someone from Sweden yesterday and she said that they make a cordial from black currant leaves - it is the same process as the elderflower cordial.

When I was in Scotland we had a French chef on the course, and he picked the fresh buds of a fur tree, poured boiling water over it and soaked it for 24 hours. Then cooked a syrup from it to pour over icecream or pancakes. Almost something like maple syrup.
I've found only one on the web without citric acid. It was a 'traditional' recipe.

Think i might do the same as you with the citric acid and reduce the amount.

I froze last year's citric acid free batch. Unfortunately I didnt' write down the recipe. We're drinking the last lot at the moment.

Must look up the recipe for blackcurrant elaves. We've got a big bush in teh garden. Do you want it if I can find it?

Goodmorning...

Yes, I would love that. I am sure you can leave the citric acid out, because the recipe that my friend has sounds pretty much the same. What do you freeze it in? Does plastic milkbottles work?

I found the elderflower vinegar recipe and will give that a try too. See you have to leave the flowers in for 5 days.

I can't find the blackcurrant recipe.

I've frozen it in small plastic bottles: water, orange juice, etc. This means that I can defrost just enough that's needed.

It doesn't freeze solid. Someone suggested just scooping out the amount one needs.

I've just finished the last of last year's lot. It was delish!

Hi...

I see the girl that told me about it next Thursday. Will get the recipe for you.

The flowers went off so quickly that I wasn't able to get more. The flowering season is so short!!!

Great idea about the smaller bottles - I'll remember that! Thanks.

Pages: 1 2