South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Replacing the PC board on a HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone ever tried to do this ?

I've accidentally damaged the printed circuit board on my D-drive during my upgrade which is the data-drive which was practically full and someone suggested buying an identical drive and then swapping the boards as the mechanics should still be ok on the drive...

Has anyone ever tried to do this and if so was it successful ? Or is it a totally crazy idea ?

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Has anyone ever tried to do this ?

I've accidentally damaged the printed circuit board on my D-drive during my upgrade which is the data-drive which was practically full and someone suggested buying an identical drive and then swapping the boards as the mechanics should still be ok on the drive...

Has anyone ever tried to do this and if so was it successful ? Or is it a totally crazy idea ?

Never done it meself but I do know that it should work. One or two of my workmates ahve done so and the drive has been resurrected.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Never done it meself but I do know that it should work. One or two of my workmates ahve done so and the drive has been resurrected.

Thanx Pica,

That is good news Big Grin

I've e-mailed Seagate to find out which boards are compatible with my HDD (it seems that this model is no longer available here in Denmark) and hopefully I'll get a response soon...
Seagate weren't helpfull.... Strange as they normally are...

So does anyone know know which other HHD's use the same PCB (printed circuit board) as the ST380021A ?

picanin

Seagate weren't helpfull.... Strange as they normally are...

So does anyone know know which other HHD's use the same PCB (printed circuit board) as the ST380021A ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...eName=WDVW
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...eName=WDVW

Thanx for the link Smile I've just rebid Big Grin

picanin

Thanx for the link Smile I've just rebid Big Grin

eBay is the holy grail for all sorts of PC stuff!
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff
See you missed it, there's a way to make sure you don't miss out like that, do you know about it?

Yes I did miss it, sort of accidentally on purpose.... I noted that the seller only shipped to the UK - though I have ways around that Wink but there is another one on auction from Germany, so I am hoping to get that one instead. Also on a Danish forum there is someone who had one for sale, though I am not sure if he still does...

Yes I know about about the highest bid thingie Big Grin Thanx anyway Gaff Smile
Partial success Smile

I won the auction on E-bay for the HDD from Germany and while I was in Cambridge it arrived but unfortunately they sent me the wrong model. So I had to ship that back and got the proper one on Thursday Big Grin

I managed to transfer 27 GB before it just stopped, me thinks it over heated... I waited till it cooled down and was able to transfer another 11 GB before it started making funny noises Sad

So I've salvaged all my downloaded music and movies and the pictures from my digicam as well as the old scanned analogue ones Big Grin

Now sometimes CMOS finds it and it gets stuck when window$ loads and sometimes it just makes funny noises and CMOS gets stuck.

I suppose I should be overjoyed that I've managed to salvage so much but I am hoping for it to work for just 15 mins more so that I can get my programs as well as my e-mails and address book transferred too...

The rest of the data on there I am not too worried about as that is just a back-up of around 60 SA cd's which I can always back up again, though it is time consuming...

So wish me luck as I try to recover the rest of my stuff Smile
I finally gave up Sad

The BIOS would find it but Window$ would only recognise it as an unformatted removable device :mad: and all it wanted to do was format it... Sad

I then placed the PCB on it's original drive and the BIOS finds it no problem, but when it does the PMI? scan it freezes on the ACPI (or something like that) part :bigcry: so I guess I've burnt out that circuit board too Sad

A very expensive lesson for me, but I did manage to recover most of my data Big Grin
Pages: 1 2