South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Allergies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Thanks Joan... although I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a Rast test here in th UK Sad They did blood tests last time, not skin.

dudette, you can buy allergy testing kits from some pharmacies...
I do not know if they are of any great value though....teh RAST test is not "fault free" either..

Pam M, I am so sorry for you ... my husband tends to use different antihistamines, cetirizine is good (Zirtek is the branded product)

Another eye drop that is popular is nedocromil (generic name), works like Opticrom (sodium cromoglycate) to prevent the allergic reaction... one has to use it for a while before it is effective.

Try Livostin or Otrivin Antistin if your eyes itch madly!!

Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I do not know if they are of any great value though....teh RAST test is not "fault free" either..

Pam M, I am so sorry for you ... my husband tends to use different antihistamines, cetirizine is good (Zirtek is the branded product)

Another eye drop that is popular is nedocromil (generic name), works like Opticrom (sodium cromoglycate) to prevent the allergic reaction... one has to use it for a while before it is effective.

Try Livostin or Otrivin Antistin if your eyes itch madly!!

Smile

Thanks a lot Joan - you have been really helpful :thumbs:
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
Thanks a lot Joan - you have been really helpful :thumbs:
Pleasure is only mine Pam M

Anytime!

Confusedunny:
Our younger daughter cannot have anything foreign in her body, i.e. pierced ears as it reacts terribly, we've had her ears pierced twice, 1st time the usual earings for piercing, then silver, plastics, hypo allergic, 9ct then 18ct gold, all have the same effect. Second piecing came along and we tried with 22ct earings straight away same story, we eventually found out that she is unable to have anything foreign as her body fights against it, the doctors have said that maybe when she is older she may out grow it but not to get our hopes up to high.

Our elder daughter is allergic to catapillers, never forget when she was 6yrs she found a catapiller and she let it walk all over her tummy as it tickled, her face and arms, well you should have seen her afterwards she looked like the Oros man, shame poor child had to see father christmas at school looking like this.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan

Smile

Thanks Joan. Will look into it Smile
I get this allergic reaction sometimes, on my hands, elbows and knees. It is red spots and very itchy!!! I can't seem to find out what it is! It happend everytime i go to South Africa. And ones or twice hear. When I got it the first time the doctor said it was stress related. However i got this sometimes when I wasn't even remotely stressed.

Maybe I should go for that allergy test...
Quote:Originally posted by birdie
I get this allergic reaction sometimes, on my hands, elbows and knees. It is red spots and very itchy!!! I can't seem to find out what it is! It happend everytime i go to South Africa. And ones or twice hear. When I got it the first time the doctor said it was stress related. However i got this sometimes when I wasn't even remotely stressed.

Maybe I should go for that allergy test...

Is this like a faint rash, as my daughter has had this on two occasions in Belguim, we think it may a be plant or something but not sure.
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Is this like a faint rash, as my daughter has had this on two occasions in Belguim, we think it may a be plant or something but not sure.

No it is really bad, very bright red spots, and the are raised.
Quote:Originally posted by birdie
No it is really bad, very bright red spots, and the are raised.

Then yes I would have a test done, maybe something on the plane - cleaning agents etc.

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Our younger daughter cannot have anything foreign in her body, i.e. pierced ears as it reacts terribly, we've had her ears pierced twice, 1st time the usual earings for piercing, then silver, plastics, hypo allergic, 9ct then 18ct gold, all have the same effect. Second piecing came along and we tried with 22ct earings straight away same story, we eventually found out that she is unable to have anything foreign as her body fights against it, the doctors have said that maybe when she is older she may out grow it but not to get our hopes up to high.

Our elder daughter is allergic to catapillers, never forget when she was 6yrs she found a catapiller and she let it walk all over her tummy as it tickled, her face and arms, well you should have seen her afterwards she looked like the Oros man, shame poor child had to see father christmas at school looking like this.

that is hard Jillibeans, what will happen so per chance she need screws or perhaps rods in her legs, would tungsten steel be okay to use?? i had to have my screws removed in my back due to my body rejecting them....Sad

:haha: at the caterpillar story - shame ppor child...Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4