South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Stout or ale!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

I have a super beef casserole dish i want to make, now it says stout to be used, what kind of stout should i use?? Are theyd different kinds of stout - as i would not know..Rolleyes or does a normal ale work just as good.....is the stout used to thicken the stew or what - besides adding flavour??
Use a 'Murphy's Stout' - much better than the other Irish Black magic IMO Wink

Post the recipe and we'll do a little work on it.

The flavouring will come from the stout no doubt... but I'm sure any strong lager or beer might just do the trick. The thickening part would probably result from the addition of potatoes and or blood/ flour/ reduction.

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
Use a 'Murphy's Stout' - much better than the other Irish Black magic IMO Wink

Post the recipe and we'll do a little work on it.

The flavouring will come from the stout no doubt... but I'm sure any strong lager or beer might just do the trick. The thickening part would probably result from the addition of potatoes and or blood/ flour/ reduction.

ta Cheffie..will go and look later and post it..Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
ta Cheffie..will go and look later and post it..Wink

No worries.

What you might like to do is simmer some beef stock and stout for a while so that the reduction would help thicken and intensify the flavours when braising in the oven at a later stage