South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Silly questioning on formatting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wonder if any of the wise old persons... to be politically correct, can help.

I know a little bit about computers, all learning via trial and error.... Now, I have a friend, whom we shall call completely blond by computer standards, no offence to any blond persons..... so... I offered to help her out, and look at her pc. By the looks of things, I have to reformat her hard drive...which I also offered to do... :dazed:

My dilema is... I have recently had my own computer formatted, but when this process was being done, I was asked to get a cold beer from the fridge and I thus missed how to do this... well I know how to format, but I don't know how to reload windows and the other software etc...

Has ANYBODY out there got step by step instructions on how to do this without making a bigger mess? I have googled my question, but I cannot come up with a satisfactory answer yet.

ANY help would be appreciated.

:bashpc: :comp:
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
I wonder if any of the wise old persons... to be politically correct, can help.

I know a little bit about computers, all learning via trial and error.... Now, I have a friend, whom we shall call completely blond by computer standards, no offence to any blond persons..... so... I offered to help her out, and look at her pc. By the looks of things, I have to reformat her hard drive...which I also offered to do... :dazed:

My dilema is... I have recently had my own computer formatted, but when this process was being done, I was asked to get a cold beer from the fridge and I thus missed how to do this... well I know how to format, but I don't know how to reload windows and the other software etc...

Has ANYBODY out there got step by step instructions on how to do this without making a bigger mess? I have googled my question, but I cannot come up with a satisfactory answer yet.

ANY help would be appreciated.

:bashpc: :comp:

Window$ is very 'user' friendly (ya, right next joke) so you should be just be able to 'accept' the choices they allow you to install window$ again... On top of the old one... If you now get a choice in the startup menu, I suggest you make a back-up of all your important files and do an FDISK an start from scratch...

BTW, I haven't forgottrn about your games, just struggling to get them....

picanin

Rightho Beanie if you need to reformat your hard drive you need to make sure that you ahve the necessary tools and the knowledge that you are going to lose all of the drives contents.

To start with make sure you ahve backed up any important data to disc. From here onwards there are two processes you can follow. I prefer the first as it involves using DOS and a boot floppy.

Make a boot floppy or get one made for you. Make sure that it containts the file format.exe. Set your PC to boot from the A drive and pop your floppy into the A drive and reboot. The PC should boot to a DOS prompt that looks similar to this: A:\> At the prompt type in "format c:" (without the speechy magafters). You will be asked if you are sure you want to lose the contents of the drive to which you should say yes. It will tell you when it is done and you will ahve a nice clean drive to load windows to.

Now the second methond is the easier method and loading Windows is simply a continuation of the process.

Set your PC to boot from CD. Pop the Windows cd in and reboot. The windows install routine will appear. Follow the instructions - making sure that you chose the options to format your hard drive before installing windows. From there follow the instructions to install Mr Gates finest produce. Job done.

HTH
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Rightho Beanie if you need to reformat your hard drive you need to make sure that you ahve the necessary tools and the knowledge that you are going to lose all of the drives contents.

To start with make sure you ahve backed up any important data to disc. From here onwards there are two processes you can follow. I prefer the first as it involves using DOS and a boot floppy.

Make a boot floppy or get one made for you. Make sure that it containts the file format.exe. Set your PC to boot from the A drive and pop your floppy into the A drive and reboot. The PC should boot to a DOS prompt that looks similar to this: A:\> At the prompt type in "format c:" (without the speechy magafters). You will be asked if you are sure you want to lose the contents of the drive to which you should say yes. It will tell you when it is done and you will ahve a nice clean drive to load windows to.

Now the second methond is the easier method and loading Windows is simply a continuation of the process.

Set your PC to boot from CD. Pop the Windows cd in and reboot. The windows install routine will appear. Follow the instructions - making sure that you chose the options to format your hard drive before installing windows. From there follow the instructions to install Mr Gates finest produce. Job done.

HTH

Traitor !!!!

Mr Gate$ Hmmpffff

And I used to think you were the next best thing to sliced bread.... LOL

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Traitor !!!!

Mr Gate$ Hmmpffff

And I used to think you were the next best thing to sliced bread.... LOL

Hey I was stoned when I typed that! I should have put Mr Gates "finest" in quotation marks to give it the degree of sarcasm it deserves! Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Hey I was stoned when I typed that! I should have put Mr Gates "finest" in quotation marks to give it the degree of sarcasm it deserves! Big Grin

All right, I'll let you off this time and put you back on my Christmas card list Big Grin
Dear Finest friends.... Jan & Pic

I am very thankful for the useful information on how to deal with this! I am on :cloud9: knowing that I have reliable sources like you to ask these bugful questions!

Thank you once again!!!

Beana
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Dear Finest friends.... Jan & Pic

I am very thankful for the useful information on how to deal with this! I am on :cloud9: knowing that I have reliable sources like you to ask these bugful questions!

Thank you once again!!!

Beana

Bean,

I hope that you were able to get something useful out of this, if not give another shout and we (well I) will try to give a more serious answer to the 'blonde' question Smile
Thanx Jan...

My friend is going away to Sharm el Sheik (sulk sulk) and I will look at her machine then, so I will have about 2 weeks to sort it all out. Thank you for coming to my resQ! Wink