South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Linux Mandrake 10 beats the hell out of Window$
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have finally got my Internet connection working in Linux. As you can see from this thread created via the New Linux Mandrake 10. As a newbie I still have some way to go but at least I can start shaking off Bill Gate$'s baby and the blue screen of death. :bashpc:

I would like to thank picanin for the help and suggestions he has contributed to me and others on the subject. Thanks also for recommending Linux Mandrake 10. :thumbs:

I started with Redhat 9 and failed to get a proper connection to the Internet. It just kept redialling the connection. I even tried SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional without real success. They both worked well in every other aspect of the system. Maybe it was too complex for me as a newbie. Now with Linux Mandrake 10, so far so good. Still exploring all the "goodies" that comes with it. It seems it has all you need to run a complete computer system.

Watch this space!

HH
Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
Quote:Originally posted by Hampshire Hog
I would like to thank [B]picanin for the help and suggestions he has contributed to me and others on the subject. Thanks also for recommending Linux Mandrake 10. :thumbs:
[/B]

Well done Pic's Big Grin

If all goes well I will get my new Lapdog on Tuesday ... while she is clean and beautiful I wonder if I must not make the big leap ??

Question 1

Will a program like Nokia Suite work on Mandrake 10 ?
That is the suite for my mobile ?

How about Office 2003 ?

Q 2

If I make a full back up of my hard drive (with that new Freecom hard drive). Will I be able to access my photo's / video's / Office doc's (.doc / excell etc ?? )

Cheers and thanks so long !

Die Bok

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by FlyingBok
Well done Pic's Big Grin

If all goes well I will get my new Lapdog on Tuesday ... while she is clean and beautiful I wonder if I must not make the big leap ??

[B]Question 1

Will a program like Nokia Suite work on Mandrake 10 ?
That is the suite for my mobile ?

How about Office 2003 ?

Q 2

If I make a full back up of my hard drive (with that new Freecom hard drive). Will I be able to access my photo's / video's / Office doc's (.doc / excell etc ?? )

Cheers and thanks so long !

Die Bok
[/B]

Oom Bok yes you could run stuff like Nokia Suite on Linux but it isnt as simple as all the other stuff in that you would ned to run emulator software to make the programs think they were running on Windows The same goes for any other MS software.

Regarding Office, FB you get a software package called Open Office that comes gratis with Mandrake. It can do 99% of the things that MS Office can do at no cost. You can use it to share documents etc with Office users.

Yes you would be able to access your backup drive. I use my drive on a Windows machine at work and then take the stuff home and access it all on my Linux box.

The best to do is partition your hard drive into two or more drives. Install XP or whatever first. Then install Linux on the other partition. It will automatically configure a boot menu for you. That way you test the waters in Linux to see what you think without losing your windows functions.

Alternatively look on the net (or on Linux magazine cover discs) for a Live Evaluation copy of Suse. This gives you a fully working Linux install on a CD. You boot from it and then have a linux system running instead of Windows. It doesnt touch your hard drive so it is safe to see what Linux is like. Sun have also recently released a similar CD Rom which also appears a good way to experiment.

picanin

HH glad to see that you agree with me on Mandrake. Redhat was a royal pain. So much stuff didnt work out of the box - mp3 players, video players, sound etc - but with Mandrake I havent had a single problem. For a savvy user it can now easily replace XP at a fraction of the cost. Over the weekend I wanted to burn some music to disk. I looked around the net for a Nero replacement for my DVD burners. As I was about to download a package I checked in my installed programs and found the exact software I needed preinstalled. Also I downloaded a documentary last week and tried to view it on my work PC - Windows. The latest media player couldnt find the correct plugins. Open the file at home and the video played perfectly. The other bit of software that kept me on Windows was MS Messenger. But since I have started using Aris Messenger I have a far better, more configurable client for MSN than ever before.

I looked at prices for XP today. Sorry no way can I justify paying that sort of money for XP and office when I can get Linux for the cost of a few blank CD's. However I can see that paying for Linux will eventually be mandatory - programmers cant live on fresh air and support contracts. But, I dont think we will ever pay the same prices that MS demands nor will we ever see the same bugs per dollar approach that we now expect from MS.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
HH glad to see that you agree with me on Mandrake. Redhat was a royal pain. So much stuff didnt work out of the box - mp3 players, video players, sound etc - but with Mandrake I havent had a single problem. For a savvy user it can now easily replace XP at a fraction of the cost. Over the weekend I wanted to burn some music to disk. I looked around the net for a Nero replacement for my DVD burners. As I was about to download a package I checked in my installed programs and found the exact software I needed preinstalled. Also I downloaded a documentary last week and tried to view it on my work PC - Windows. The latest media player couldnt find the correct plugins. Open the file at home and the video played perfectly. The other bit of software that kept me on Windows was MS Messenger. But since I have started using Aris Messenger I have a far better, more configurable client for MSN than ever before.

I looked at prices for XP today. Sorry no way can I justify paying that sort of money for XP and office when I can get Linux for the cost of a few blank CD's. However I can see that paying for Linux will eventually be mandatory - programmers cant live on fresh air and support contracts. But, I dont think we will ever pay the same prices that MS demands nor will we ever see the same bugs per dollar approach that we now expect from MS.

boss picanin,,, a few Q`s for the expert!!

were did you get your Mandrake from and how much did it cost you?
are you able to network a xp and a linux compters on a home network using a crossover?
what about a shared internet conection?
and when it comes to comps i know basics but that is about it!

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Lance

are you able to network a xp and a linux compters on a home network using a crossover?

Lance my dear departed proxy was a machine called Homer. Homer ran Linux and was used as a gateway to the interent sharing the connection with various other bits of Windows hardware as well as running as a file, web and email server. So that basically says that everything you needed to know aboutup there is possible. You would need two network cards in the box but it would very easy to have it work at sharing a net connection. Mandrake is avaialble from various websites as well as off magazine cover disks. Let me know if you ahve problems finding it.
Baie Dankie Pic's. Ok I will definately slpit the drive and first "test it all" - just to make sure as where I will be in the bush again in 2 weeks there aint nobody that will be able to help - so onlysupport will be here or direct mail to you cleva oke's. Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Lance my dear departed proxy was a machine called Homer. Homer ran Linux and was used as a gateway to the interent sharing the connection with various other bits of Windows hardware as well as running as a file, web and email server. So that basically says that everything you needed to know aboutup there is possible. You would need two network cards in the box but it would very easy to have it work at sharing a net connection. Mandrake is avaialble from various websites as well as off magazine cover disks. Let me know if you ahve problems finding it.

proxy?
gateway?
lost me there,,,,,,,,i use the home pc,with a crossover cable to my laptop,the home pc is conected via BB. great beliver in keep it simple!, the home pc is running XP,as so is the laptop, but you can install Linux as a dual boot.

so can it be done???
Quote:Originally posted by Lance

Hi Lance

If it helps I bought my copy of Linux Mandrake 10 on eBay for a princely sum of "25p" plus P&P. It came in three discs, unfortunately disc three was faulty. Another replacement disc three is being sent to me by the vendor. So all should be OK. I was still able to install the system from the two available discs and it's working perfectly. I now run a Dual Boot system with it side by side with Window$. I'm surfing the net with Linux Mandrake 10 now.

For your information there is a copy of the latest Mandrake on the current August Edition of Computer Shopper magazine, the "DVD Edition" only and not the CD-Rom edtition. It is a standalone bootable disk, as I understand it, so you can try it out without having to touch your systems configuration at all. If you like it you can get the real thing and install it properly.

I'm still on a steep learning curve but then I've waited this long and I'm in no hurry. I'm just going to enjoy it. Just getting rid of the Blue Screen of Death is something to celebrate about if nothing else.

Why not give it a whirl.

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
Quote:Originally posted by Hampshire Hog
Hi Lance

If it helps I bought my copy of Linux Mandrake 10 on eBay for a princely sum of "25p" plus P&P. It came in three discs, unfortunately disc three was faulty. Another replacement disc three is being sent to me by the vendor. So all should be OK. I was still able to install the system from the two available discs and it's working perfectly. I now run a Dual Boot system with it side by side with Window$. I'm surfing the net with Linux Mandrake 10 now.

For your information there is a copy of the latest Mandrake on the current August Edition of Computer Shopper magazine, the "DVD Edition" only and not the CD-Rom edtition. It is a standalone bootable disk, as I understand it, so you can try it out without having to touch your systems configuration at all. If you like it you can get the real thing and install it properly.

I'm still on a steep learning curve but then I've waited this long and I'm in no hurry. I'm just going to enjoy it. Just getting rid of the Blue Screen of Death is something to celebrate about if nothing else.

Why not give it a whirl.

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:

thanks HH,,will look out for the DVD,, but if you in a hurry for the disk 3 that you are missing and have BB just download it from ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linu...10.0/i586/

only take a few hours!!
Pages: 1 2