South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Kitten or leopard?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear Auntie Agness,

I bought the kids a lovely kitten, and she's now three months old. She came from a stable household, and she's the most perfect little thing. Problem being she has always been very playful, and has (in my view) an over-developed 'hunter instinct'.

From a very early age, she excelled in catching insects, spiders, and stalked us around the house.

This morning, she left a little 'gift' in the hallway: A half-eaten bird! Sick feathers gallore....Considering she's only three months old, is this normal? Being a 'British' cat, I would have expected her to be more docile than a leopard. See, I dont want her to offer us more substantial prey, like kids for example Rolleyes

How can I train her not to catch birds, or otherwise prevent it?

- concerned mozzie.
I'm afraid just cause they are british cats the hunting business is perfectly normal. Our kitten is almost a year old and ever since we've let him from about 8 weeks, we have had presents on a regular basis. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid. They do grow out of it a bit but not much.
Dear Concerned Mozzie
Be very thankful that there are no lizards aroud...

far messier to clean up

Sick Sick
Yuck! Lizzards for breakfast!

This little kitten still has milk teeth! I was thinking of putting amuzzle on her, or a bell or something....
Quote:Originally posted by MissQtoe
Yuck! Lizzards for breakfast!

This little kitten still has milk teeth! I was thinking of putting amuzzle on her, or a bell or something....

A bell might work but remember that cats normally are only able to catch the weak or ill birds that would normally die anyway Smile
Dear Mozzie

It sounds like you have a purrrrfectly real cat! I strongly recommend you visit this site or, better still, invest in Terry Pratchett's The Unadulterated Cat. Big Grin

Auntie Venus
Former Slave to Several Real Cats

PS: Collars with bells can be a strangling hazard for cats when they climb trees.
I thought I'd share this with you about my cat.

She's 18 months old now & also forever chasing birds.
Well, the other day there was a bird on the swimming pool hose & the next thing I hear is "Splash". She had actually jumped into the pool to try & get to the bird. (Silly thing).

Boy, did she jump out of the pool fast.

:haha: :haha:
Quote:Originally posted by Curio
I thought I'd share this with you about my cat.

She's 18 months old now & also forever chasing birds.
Well, the other day there was a bird on the swimming pool hose & the next thing I hear is "Splash". She had actually jumped into the pool to try & get to the bird. (Silly thing).

Boy, did she jump out of the pool fast.

:haha: :haha:

I've seen a cat of mine do that years ago! Isn't it amazing how they manage to reverse their leap so quickly? :crylol:
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
I've seen a cat of mine do that years ago! Isn't it amazing how they manage to reverse their leap so quickly? :crylol:

I had a cat that use to enjoy bathing with me!!!
Quote:Originally posted by lols
I had a cat that use to enjoy bathing with me!!!

What a very unusual cat! :haha:
Pages: 1 2