South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Screen Resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
It is doffie here again. I need help/guidance or a mental hospital!

If you can remember, I reformatted my friends pc a few weeks back. All was well, but then she tried to load her new BT package onto the pc. Everything worked well, but as soon as she put Norton 2004 on, all stuffed out. So I reformatted again, 'coz nothing was safed so it was just a quick easy clean and reinstall of Win98.

So far so good, but the screen, a plug and play Philips 107E... now has really large icons on, and when she opens a webpage the pixels are really big, so it looks like you zoomed into the page. So I brought the PC home, and at 3am this morning I was still formatting and reisntallin again, but the screen is still not right.

If I go into control panel, Display, Settings, I see that there are only the following choices.. 2 colours (Black & White) or 16 colours. Shouldn't there be more? And on the screen area the arrow is on Less (640 by 480 pixels) and I cannot move the &^*&*^% arrow to make it more.... so I now have really large icons on the desktop, and a very ugly display! (the display says PHILIPS 107E on Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA).

Can anyone please help? :bigcry:

Beanie is distress!
Beanie by the sound of things Window$ has found the right display but not the driver.... It may have been corrupted somehow... Have you got a back up copy of the installation disk ? If so try using that
Back copy? I have the origonal installation disk....Does that count?
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Back copy? I have the origonal installation disk....Does that count?

No, as the disk may have been damaged somewhere along the line and that specific file may have been corrupted...
Its your graphics card, find out what make and model, download latest drivers from the graphics card web site, install and everything should then work.
Where do I look for the make and model of the graphics card?
Where do I look for the make and model of the graphics card?

On the card itself ???

Are you still using the old graphics card with a new monitor ?
Jangar,

I am using all the original stuff... Thus the original monitor, the original PC, the original keyboard and mouse and then the original win 98SE disks.

MAybe I can borrow somebody's installation disks? WOuld that solve the problem?

picanin

Jangar,

I am using all the original stuff... Thus the original monitor, the original PC, the original keyboard and mouse and then the original win 98SE disks.

MAybe I can borrow somebody's installation disks? WOuld that solve the problem?

Beanie that may and may not solve the problem. It appears that Win98 SE does not ahve the drivers for the card. You may have to delve into the innards of the PC, remove the card and look at the names on the chips to find the drivers. If you are lucky the full name may be marked on the card...... However if the PC is from a big manufacturer - like IBM, Dell or Compaq the graphics hard may be nuilt in or a standard one. In which case looking on the manufacturers web site may well help. Is it a big name brand?
Pic,

It sin't a big name brand... I think it is an Advent or something like that with a Seagate hard drive.
I opened up last night, but couldn't find the graphics/video card so i couldn't see the FFc number, so I assume that it is built in.

Would it help if I tried to get a later version of Windows? Say 2000? Beacuse reinstalling and reformatting the machine didn't work.. still just have the standard VGA graphics card.

One thing about these little hick-ups... I get to learn so much more...and that of stuff I never ever thought I'd ever use/do Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5