South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Mandrake Move
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

picanin

I just bought this months PC Plus at Tescos and on the cover was a Mandrake Move CD. This is basically a complete operating system on a bootable CD which gives you the ability to test Linux out without actually installing it onto your hard drive. We have a spare P4 1.8 here which I decided to try it on. It booted almost as fast as what Windows does from hard drive and gave me a fully working desktop in next to no time. Even better this fully working desktop included internet connectivity, full office suite, games and all the other doodaahs one has come to expect in a Linux distro but which Windows users are still expected to install themselves and at higher cost.

Anyone wanting to see how Linux works without actually committing to installing it on a hard drive would be silly not to try this out.
thanks pic,,

i tryed installing mandrake on my laptop last week,,,,as a second OS and it crashed everything,,, after that i tryed installing at as my primary os,,, and could not get it working at ,,,,,just made a lot of very hi piched noise and went nowere!

so back to XP

but would still be nice to see what mandrake is like!

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Lance
thanks pic,,

i tryed installing mandrake on my laptop last week,,,,as a second OS and it crashed everything,,, after that i tryed installing at as my primary os,,, and could not get it working at ,,,,,just made a lot of very hi piched noise and went nowere!

so back to XP

but would still be nice to see what mandrake is like!

Lance get that CD then and see. I was pretty impressed at the way it worked on the machine at work.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Lance get that CD then and see. I was pretty impressed at the way it worked on the machine at work.

pic i have a dell inspiron pent 4 and it do not like mandrake at all.... it even refuses to boot up from the disk! is it just me been more doof than normal or is there a reason dell and mandrake do not get on?
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
I just bought this months PC Plus at Tescos and on the cover was a Mandrake Move CD. This is basically a complete operating system on a bootable CD which gives you the ability to test Linux out without actually installing it onto your hard drive. We have a spare P4 1.8 here which I decided to try it on. It booted almost as fast as what Windows does from hard drive and gave me a fully working desktop in next to no time. Even better this fully working desktop included internet connectivity, full office suite, games and all the other doodaahs one has come to expect in a Linux distro but which Windows users are still expected to install themselves and at higher cost.

Anyone wanting to see how Linux works without actually committing to installing it on a hard drive would be silly not to try this out.

Pica - Sadly we don't get that mag over here :mad: Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the cd to me ?

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Lance
pic i have a dell inspiron pent 4 and it do not like mandrake at all.... it even refuses to boot up from the disk! is it just me been more doof than normal or is there a reason dell and mandrake do not get on?

Lance it must be something in your Dell hardware coz you shouldnt have to any input other than to agree to T&C's and to set up a single username and password.

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Pica - Sadly we don't get that mag over here :mad: Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the cd to me ?

Jan I can do but if you have a 512k connection you can download and burn it a lot quicker. Leet me know if you want it and I can post it.