South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Win2000 XPpro dual boot??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an old laptop inherited from work with original Win 2000 operating system. Have since loaded XP pro, but installation automatically allowed a dual boot system.

I want to delete the original win2000 and recover the disc space....

Is this possible without completely reformatting?

Or would it be better to start from scratch.

some earlier experiences with Uncle Bills systems tells me that I would be better off biting the bullet.....

Comments welcomed thanx

picanin

Bite the bullet Jim and do reformat the drive then reinstall XP. You could save yourself a lot of hassle that way.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Bite the bullet Jim and do reformat the drive then reinstall XP. You could save yourself a lot of hassle that way.

Ditto ...

PS: Pics u r getting slack in NOT promoting LINUX :rofl:
Quote:Originally posted by FlyingBok
Ditto ...

PS: Pics u r getting slack in NOT promoting LINUX :rofl:

Tks guys, did it over the weekend, great improvement and also made me clean out a lot of hoarded files.

Sound familiar? Big Grin

Now about that Linux... it is something I have looked at from the sidelines for a while, I have an older pentium that one of my daughters never uses that I am considering using as a project. Can anyone point me in the right direction for things to read up on to start with, and then recommendations for a specific package or supplier. Red Hat and Mandrake are two that I remember reading about.... comments?

picanin

And the Lord said unto Moses thou shalt use Linux to defeat the plague of Windows that is currently befalling your network!

Jim my recommendation to you is try to get hold of this months PC Pro. It has a live evaluation copy of Mandrake Move on the cover. All you do is boot from the CD Rom and it loads the complete OS into RAM. It doesnt touch your hard drive. You can play around with it and get to see if you like Linux. If you dont you just reboot PC and remove CD from drive with no changes made to your hard drive. From there you can look at doing permanent installs. I would recommend the following

1. Mandrake
2. Suse
3. Red Hat

You should be able to find images for those three OS' on many of the cover disks of magazines like LinuxFormat or LinuxDeveloper. Another option is to buy ready burnt CD's fromeBay retailers. This is a good place to get a copy of Linux distrowatch.com

Hope that helps!
You should be able to find images for those three OS' on many of the cover disks of magazines like LinuxFormat or LinuxDeveloper. Another option is to buy ready burnt CD's fromeBay retailers. This is a good place to get a copy of Linux distrowatch.com

Hope that helps!

I tried to call you when I was in London as I walked from shop to shop and could not find any Sad

I still have 65 mb left on the lapdog's hard drive and wish to take the giant step Wink

DO you have a copy of the latest reccomendation ?

picanin

I tried to call you when I was in London as I walked from shop to shop and could not find any Sad

I still have 65 mb left on the lapdog's hard drive and wish to take the giant step Wink

DO you have a copy of the latest reccomendation ?

Oom soek oom nie 'n copy van Madrake move? Dan toets jy hom uit sonder om te install? Indien wel, email my jou pos address - my email is penguin@nerdstotherescue.co.uk

PS Die email address sal seker eers oor 'n paar uure werk.

PS was that 65gb or 65mb that you have left? If it is mb then you dont have enough space so Mandrake Move will be best.
Oom soek oom nie 'n copy van Madrake move? Dan toets jy hom uit sonder om te install? Indien wel, email my jou pos address - my email is penguin@nerdstotherescue.co.uk

PS Die email address sal seker eers oor 'n paar uure werk.

PS was that 65gb or 65mb that you have left? If it is mb then you dont have enough space so Mandrake Move will be best.

Sorry 65 Gig on the dog left Big Grin

Thanks Pics - I would really appreciate it Big Grin

Pete Bryant
P/d Cassie Nel - Freetown
Astraeus Airlines
Astraeus House
Faraday Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9PU

You will be a star to the oom Wink

picanin

Sorry 65 Gig on the dog left Big Grin

Thanks Pics - I would really appreciate it Big Grin

Pete Bryant
P/d Cassie Nel - Freetown
Astraeus Airlines
Astraeus House
Faraday Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9PU

You will be a star to the oom Wink

Cool bananas! I wont be able to do it till next week but will post it Monday AM.
And the Lord said unto Moses thou shalt use Linux to defeat the plague of Windows that is currently befalling your network!

Jim my recommendation to you is try to get hold of this months PC Pro.
1. Mandrake
2. Suse
3. Red Hat

Hope that helps!

Pic I am located in Germany, so I think that the Pc Pro mag will be in German here ( will have to look for the equivalent) and after some probs with trying to load other languages onto my now German op system it looks like I will have to go the German route, Ugh takes 3 times longer!!!, despite being here two years I am still Germanically challanged Big Grin, will look out for a captain hook version on my next visit to the singapore or Thailand areas tho. thanx, oops, just looking at my typos and spelling after a couple of rooi wyne and its atrocious LOL
Pages: 1 2