South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: WinXP Styles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just thought I would let all the XP users know of a nifty little program that lets you change the Styles of WinXP..

We all know that WinXP only has three default styles: Silver, Green and Blue....

With StyleXP you can change this, and the overall look of the desktop to any which way you want. You can even make transparency effects so it will look a bit like a Linux desktop.

You can see and read more about StyleXP here:

http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php

And some different types of themes here:

http://www.themexp.org/listings.php?type=vs&view=date

Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
Just thought I would let all the XP users know of a nifty little program that lets you change the Styles of WinXP..

We all know that WinXP only has three default styles: Silver, Green and Blue....

With StyleXP you can change this, and the overall look of the desktop to any which way you want. You can even make transparency effects so it will look a bit like a Linux desktop.

You can see and read more about StyleXP here:

http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.php

And some different types of themes here:

http://www.themexp.org/listings.php?type=vs&view=date

Wink

................If you want your desktop to look like Linux, then why not use the real thing. It's much safer and more reliable!!!! If you want both then why not use a "Dual Boot" system.

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Hampshire Hog
................If you want your desktop to look like Linux, then why not use the real thing. It's much safer and more reliable!!!! If you want both then why not use a "Dual Boot" system.

HH

Ahhh but you see HH those of us that use Linux have long been able to change the way our desktops look. We can change the way Gnome and KDE look with very little effort. Different themes and colour schemes are the norm for us. Have you tried the various Window Managers that you get for Linux? I use ICE WM, Xfce, Enlightenment as well as Gnome and KDE. ICE and Xfce are extremely good for low resource machines. They are super quick and use far less memory and CPU.

Sorry for the hijack Amen! It is just that us Linux users have to spread the word of a far superior product at a far lower cost!
Ja that might be, but regular users who cant figure out how linus works, and dont want to have to hassle with it can have the pleasure of a great looking environment in windows.

I know Linux is cool in many ways, but sometimes I feel that the ordinary Joe might be better off using windows....

In anycase whats the use of having linux on your pc, if you in anycase need to dual boot to use programs that will only run in windows????

I am sorry to say, but linux is for the nerds.... Big Grin
Hi Ameniatha

For your information a “Dual Boot” system means exactly that. You can choose whether you want to run in Window$ or Linux. Once in, you run only on that system booted up. There is no conflict with any Window$ programs when running in Linux and vice versa. Additionally, when running in Linux you are presented with probably the best collection of programs you are ever likely to need and it’s all FREE. For example, you have Open Office which is a fully fledged office suite that is 99.999% compatible with MS Office. It can open, run and save in the MS Office formats as well as its own format. Don’t take my word for this, take a look at the following link http://www.openoffice.org/product/ and make your own mind up about it. Again, the best bit it’s FREE. I have just upgraded to the very latest version at no cost to myself. If I were to do that on MS Office it would probably have cost me an “arm and a leg” to obtain the latest version.

In Linux you can do all the things that you can in Window$ with an appropriate program being available, from graphics to surfing the net. I could go on forever but I wonÂ’t.

Finally, as far as Linux being for “Nerds”, I would beg to differ. When I first started I was a complete novice when it came to Linux, but I have persevered with it and now have a fully working system that is as stable a system as I have ever seen. Not had any “Blue Screen of Death” as I did regularly with Window$ over many years. Before writing it off why not try running one of the many Bootable Linux disks available. These run from the disk on any system without affecting your existing operating system in any way at all. Once complete, you switch off and all is restored to the way it was beforehand. So when you next switch on again you’re back to your own OS as before, like nothing ever happened.

Regards

HH
Lol HH I know what a dual boot system is.... Big Grin

I guess it just bugs me a bit that the Linux dudes want to be rid of windows so badly, but they still have to use it anyway at times...

But ok each to his own right.... Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
Lol HH I know what a dual boot system is.... Big Grin

I guess it just bugs me a bit that the Linux dudes want to be rid of windows so badly, but they still have to use it anyway at times...

But ok each to his own right.... Wink
OK ...................... I get your drift ............. no problem.

Regards

HH
HH - I can vouch for Open Office Smile though it, as all new things do, takes a while to get used to... Esp. the 'abandon' instead or the 'no' button when you exit the program after making some unwanted changes...

I've yet to find a free version of Linux though... All the sites I've found do not have free version and I don't want to be branded a nerd by buying a computer mag Wink :haha:

On a more serious note, I more or less have a spare PC that I hope to get up and running and then experiment with Linux sometime in the (near) future Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
HH - I can vouch for Open Office though it, as all new things do, takes a while to get used to... Esp. the 'abandon' instead or the 'no' button when you exit the program after making some unwanted changes...

I've yet to find a free version of Linux though... All the sites I've found do not have free version and I don't want to be branded a nerd by buying a computer mag

On a more serious note, I more or less have a spare PC that I hope to get up and running and then experiment with Linux sometime in the (near) future

Hi Jangar

I bought mine off eBay for the cost of the CD and P&P. So far no problems , it all works well.

Take a look at at the link at http://search.ebay.co.uk/Linux_Operating...Z1QQsotrZ2

I went for Mandrake Linux 10 on the recommendation of Picanin. I've not looked back since. I previously tried Red Hat and SuSe but just couldn't get either to work properly on my system.

If you like I could send you a copy of mine but unfortunately Disk No. 3 somehow does not get recognised. I therefore ended up with the system on a DVD but alas don't have a DVD Writer (Yet) to make you a copy. My CD copies do work off the disks 1 & 2 but I don't get all the extra goodies off Disk 3. So you're welcome to my CD copies if you want them. Just let me know.

Yeh I agree about Open Office but it's still no hassle. I installed it on our system at work a couple of years or so ago. We didn't have MS Office at the time but had Corel Wordperfect Office 2000 and it would not read any MS Office attachements in our emails. So we got around this by using Open Office. My Directors were pleased because it didn't cost us a bean.

Now I have the very latest "Linux" version installed on my PC at home.

PM/Email me if you decide you want the disks.

HH
Thanx for the link and offer HH Smile

HH and Picanin,

Is this the one to get ? :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...71979&rd=1
Pages: 1 2