South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: HWGA with network probs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before but I have had a look in old threads. Just got cable Broadband with set top modem and bought a 4 way DSL/Cable router to share the internet connection. Works a dream for the Broadband but I am not able to share files now. The 2 computers are running Windows XP home and Windows me. Ran the set up wizard on both and they both seem to go through the motions and the xp machine recognises there is another computer on the network(and gets its name right) but the me machine has no access to the network. When I run a diagnostic it says that I may have 2 computers with the same name. I then renamed them but with no success.:mad:
Any advice gratefully received!Wink
Silly question, do u have a firewall running like norton, if so u must introduce network to the firewall, otherwise all networks will be blocked, try turning off firewall to c if u can access files.
The firewall I had on the me machine was Zonealarm which I have turned off. After doing that the broadband came through but no file sharing!. On the xp machine Zonealarm is still running but that can see the me machine.
Quote:Originally posted by Goldminer
The firewall I had on the me machine was Zonealarm which I have turned off. After doing that the broadband came through but no file sharing!. On the xp machine Zonealarm is still running but that can see the me machine.

Try turning both firewalls off then try again, also in windows explorer right click on drive or folder u want to share and click on sharing and security to make folder available, only after u r able to share files then set up firewall to recognise the shared drives or folders.
You do have different IP addresses, don't you?
Usually 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

picanin

Not knowing much about XP, do you have file and printer sharing turned on?
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Not knowing much about XP, do you have file and printer sharing turned on?

Yes. The problem as I can see it is on the Me machine. I'll turn the firewall off on the Xp machine and see if that helps.
Right, now the firewall is off the network is up and running. Thanks everyone for the advice! Imay be back though as I'm now going to turn the firewall back on!:o
Had to adjust the settings on the xp machine slightly but access is up and running. Thanks again everyone.Smile Wink