South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: headaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Icecub

I have an ongoing problem with my son....for the past yr he has come home every Monday with a headache....

firstly i thought it was the chlorine in the pool as they did swimming every Monday...not that!!

secondly he wears spectacles for reading etc..i took him to the optician .. he is fine with that!!

it seemed to go away ..but now since high school it has come back...at present he is lying on the couch, i gave him calpol caplets, and he is sleeping the headache off....

what else do you think it might be - perhaps i am overlooking something?? Sad Sad
Sheesh Cubby... Unfortunately I cannot help... have you googled it? Maybe because Mondays are the first day back at school and it takes time to get used to the long concentration hours after a weekend??
One very common cause of headaches is not drinking enough water.
Lots of children go through the entire school day without drinking any water so maybe that could be the problem.
As soon as I start getting a headache I realise that I have been busy and forgotten about drinking my water. Within about fifteen minutes of having a large glass of water my headache disappears.
Cubbie you mention :

..but now since high school it has come back...

it seems this may be related. [??]

New environment with unspoken fears .. stress Smile

Have you checked to see whether he has been grinding his teeth of late?

Then chlorine in the swimming pool can also affect people quite adversely, does he shower straight after swimming or only once he gets home?

And as silversurfer mentions, the intake of water can only benefit one.

Icecub

Am still battling with my son, last Monday i fetched him from school with headache and vomiting, now today the same thing....i honestly am at wit's end.....i feel i do not want to cart him off to the doctor for something trivial....will have to check him tonight and really get into the nitty gritty as why this is happening... :bigcry: :bigcry:
Icecub Wrote:Am still battling with my son, last Monday i fetched him from school with headache and vomiting, now today the same thing....i honestly am at wit's end.....i feel i do not want to cart him off to the doctor for something trivial....will have to check him tonight and really get into the nitty gritty as why this is happening... :bigcry: :bigcry:

Icecub, the vomiting aspect is worrying. Where is the headache concentrated, temple or up the back of the neck? It could be tension related, or perhaps it is connected to diet.
Does the school offer something on the menu that is specific to a Monday?

Icecub

John01 Wrote:Icecub, the vomiting aspect is worrying. Where is the headache concentrated, temple or up the back of the neck? It could be tension related, or perhaps it is connected to diet.
Does the school offer something on the menu that is specific to a Monday?

Yes i agree the vomiting is worrying to me as well, as it is just bile he is bringing up, he said it was all over, but he is sleeping at the moment so will check later on....i did warn him this morning as we were going to school to drink alot of liquid as we were advised to let him drink water as much as possible especially on a Monday - as for the school menu, he has packed lunches and it never differs as he likes what he gets....

I am thinking of other possible scenarios - maybe it might be therapeutic for him to maybe chat to somebody as i cannot seem to find the answer...

TracyW

If he is vomiting with it and need to sleep is it perhaps not a migraine? Not sure why it is consistantly Monday's though.
He's not getting bullied and hence the headache and vomitting to stop him from going?

Was it the same in primary school or only since high school?

Fear can do strange things to our bodies and we all react in different ways. It would do you and your son no harm in going to the docs. The doc won't shout and you might get to the bottom of the cause. If you carry on as you are you will end up making youself sick and be no help to you son.
Cubby, the symptoms you describe are very similar to those caused by stress in children...read here for more info..

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/fe...tress.html

I know this because both my kids are suffering at the moment due to the move, and their dad being gone. So I am very familiar with the symptoms..

Try and talk to him and ask him if Highschool is giving him trouble, and to which degree. Make him aware that you will be unable to help him if he does not speak up. He has to open up to you and tell you whats bothering him, esp. since its not shortage of liquids, and its not his eyes giving him trouble. There is a strong indication that its most likely school related or a personal problem of sorts...but get him to open up to you. When he does you will be better equiped to deal with the issues, and help him feel better, or give him the tools to cope with the stress itself..

This articles may also help shed some light on kids and stress:

http://drphil.com/articles/article/14/
Pages: 1 2