South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Linux users?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
Actually, even Microsoft runs apache (on unix servers) on a lot of its customer facing servers. (like Hotmail, for example)

Are MS still using Apache? I would have thought that they would have taken them down after they aquired Hotmail and the subsequent press it got them! Was it Free-BSD or a "proper" Unix distro they ran it on?

Mind you, I reckon MS must be kicking its butt that it flogged Xenix to SCO as if it hadnt they could possibly have now started to make forays into the *nix world again!
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Are MS still using Apache? I would have thought that they would have taken them down after they aquired Hotmail and the subsequent press it got them! Was it Free-BSD or a "proper" Unix distro they ran it on?

Mind you, I reckon MS must be kicking its butt that it flogged Xenix to SCO as if it hadnt they could possibly have now started to make forays into the *nix world again!

MS tried swapping out the unix servers for MS servers running IIS after buying out hotmail in '98 or '99. Unfortunately, it collapsed into the proverbial pile of steaming ****. They then had to run to Sun Microsystems and ask them to rapidly put in some serious sun Unix servers in place running Netscape server - this appears to have been slowly migrated over to apache (still on unix, though), as it's cheaper, and its performance has improved that it is a viable option for big and busy servers in place of netscape server.

** Sun were forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement about this, but of course, when you work in Sun circles, such a boo-boo by MS didn't stay quiet for long. Big Grin

picanin

Oh well even MS realise that running Open Source software makes sense! It must be pretty galling though to know that the best webserver software is available for free and they are forced to use it themselves!
Well we installed our web server last night. It seems to be ok. To be honest I have not played on it just yet. But it looks the business and serves the purpose that we need. Now it's just a case of doing our business web page and then we will be officially up and running. Q Branch has begun.
This is for all the "Linux" Gurus out there. I have just bought a new computer and will be looking to re-install my Linux software on to this PC. The PC was purchased within a budget limit I set so that it covers all my requirements without going to extremes (not interested in games etc.). It's a Compaq running the dreaded Window$ XP Home Edition. It comes with a 3.4GHz Intel Processor with Hyper threading for what its worth and a 160 GB HDD among many other nice bits and bobs.

Sadly when I set the whole system up the HDD crashed, so I was without the initial use of the PC for some 10 days. The support engineer has now changed the HDD under guarantee and fortunately the "Recovery DVD" I made just before the crash was OK, so this was used to restore the system back on to the new HDD. Had this not been fixed when it was, the whole system was about to be reboxed and taken back for a full refund. However, I must admit that I didn't really want to do this as this was my first choice of all the models I looked at or researched on the Internet. So, saved in the nick of time!!

With this latest experience, by installing Mandrake Linux 10 on to this new system, what possible side effects might I experience doing this. In other words what would you suggest I be aware of when installing the Linux system. I am less confident now since the crash of the HDD so I want to be absolutely sure what I am doing will work OK. Any advice and guidance would be greatly welcomed from you guys (Picanin where are you?) and anyone else for that matter experienced in the Linux OS.

When I first installed it on to my trusty older Compaq I had no problems at all. Everything worked fine once I installed Mandrake Linux 10 eventually. For some reason I couldn't get Red Hat 9 or SuSe 8 to work properly at all when it came to accessing the Internet. Then I was running Window$ 98SE as the main OS. I have very little experience of Window$ XP so am in new territory now. First I intend to fit a second HDD into a caddy like I used previously on my other Compaq. I wont be installing Linux until this has been done because I don't want to mix the two systems on the main "C:\> Drive", which I still have to create some new partitions. I'd still rather have Linux on my second drive anyway. The second HDD will be set up with partitions in Window$ and Linux. Once all this is done I will be able to surf the net again feeling a whole lot more secure than I do at present using Window$.

Right, it's over to you guys and I look forward to your help and advice. Feel free to PM / Email me if you wish instead. Either way I await your replies with interest.

Thanks

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
Silly question time...

It seems as if there are different versions of Linux for each version of CPU, so if the old version you used was for say a 486 proccessor it may not work on a 586...

Just a shot in the dark...

picanin

Jo as soon as things quieten down ehre at work I will answer your questions.

Jangar the different versions are optimised for that particular CPU. I dont really think it is a problem if you used a 486 distro on a P4 CPU, however trying things the opposite way around certainly would be a no go!
With Linux is it possible to download a java runtime somewhere. I have looked on the java website and it only gives the downloads for the manuals not the actual thing.

picanin

Lols yes it is possible to download the java runtime. Java being platform non specific works fine on Linux. Take a look here: www.java.com Even though you will see the words "manual" on these downloads you will see that you are able to download to self extracting files to install Java. One being a straight .bin file and the other being a rpm.bin file.

What browser will you be using as it is a good idea to check for any version specific instructions for installing Java and using it with your browser.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Lols yes it is possible to download the java runtime. Java being platform non specific works fine on Linux. Take a look here: www.java.com Even though you will see the words "manual" on these downloads you will see that you are able to download to self extracting files to install Java. One being a straight .bin file and the other being a rpm.bin file.

What browser will you be using as it is a good idea to check for any version specific instructions for installing Java and using it with your browser.

thanks pic I have told the boss we are using Mozilla.
Pages: 1 2