South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Bafana needs to win remaining WC qualifiers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pretoria - Bafana Bafana head coach Gordon Igesund believes victory in the remaining two 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying matches will keep the national team in contention for the Brazil 2014 World Cup.

The South African national team is currently in Yaoundé, Cameroon preparing for the all-important World Cup qualifier match against Group A leaders Ethiopia in Addis Ababa on Sunday.

“The situation is self-explanatory; you do not need to be a rocket scientist to see what needs to be done. We both have two games left, so for us only a win will keep us in contention.

“We needed to get the three points from CAR, and all along I have been saying the key match will be against Ethiopia. But the nice thing is that it is in our hands. We need to win this match and then beat Botswana in order to qualify for the next and final round of the World Cup qualifiers.

“We have to take each game as it comes, but a draw is not good for us. I am confident we will be well-prepared for this match,” he said.

With two rounds of matches remaining, South Africa and Ethiopia are racing for top spot in Group A. The Ethiopians are leading the group with 10 points, while South Africa is on the second spot with eight points.

The team that finishes top of the group will proceed to the play-offs to be played on home and away basis. The winners will secure a place to the World Cup scheduled for 2014 in Brazil.

The Bafana mentor is well aware that another solid game plan and execution will see his side through.

“We are studying the video of the match between Botswana and Ethiopia, and I will have a good game plan for Sunday.

“What I do know is that they don’t have to win the match, a draw will suit them fine so I don’t expect them to attack a lot, but we will have to attack them,” he said.

Bafana Sunday’s match will take place at the National Stadium, on the same day Central African Republic (CAR) face Botswana in another Group A encounter which has little meaning.

Both Botswana and CAR have been eliminated from the race following their respective losses at the weekend. Botswana only has one point with CAR sitting on three.

Meanwhile on Monday, Igesund rested midfielder Reneilwe Letsholonyane and defender Anele Ngcongca from training as a precautionary measure.

“The boys are fine, we just didn’t want to take chances and have them train when resting would serve them better.

“Letsholonyane has a minor groin strain while Anele is suffering from slight thigh muscles,” said Igesund, adding that they will train with the rest of the team today.

South Africa will leave Cameroon for Addis Ababa on Friday, 14 June. - SAnews.gov.za