South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Windows XP - User Accounts Disappeared
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've lost my user account on my computer. Help!!!

I start up Windows XP Professional and get to my 'friendly login' screen and there are no user accounts listed. Going through the motions of Ctrl-Alt-Delete to do manual login, brings up the login box in which I have to enter passwords, however no passwords were set previously on the accounts, and so cannot access Windows at all. Booting up in Safe Mode brings up the same result.

I think this has been caused by a bad stick of RAM (computer started performing a physical memory dump), and will look into it as soon as I can get the computer functioning reasonably well again.

I don't really want to have to perform a repair installation with Windows disks, as I'm not sure that I have them anymore.

Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
nataliiie

isn't there a choice of boot up in your last 'good' saved mode or something like that.

I was under the impression XP was able to reboot to a previous mode?

Let's see what Pics says
I have already attempted that, Duck. I have also tried to get Windows running from a boot disk with no luck.

Manual login shows that there are no user accounts at all, including Administrator account.

Possible causes:
- Trojan
- The dreaded Windows SP2

Conclusion:
- Take image of HD to save data (last backup was a month ago)
- Wipe Windows and reinstall (without SP2)
- Install image reader
- Retrieve data
- Lots of headaches
I had a similar problem awhile back, except for some reason my password would not be excepted, even though i had not changed it, and in by playing around i found a floor in xp.

Right first on the log in screen, there should be a button or icon for making a new user, once in xp change the new user to administrator and then reboot.

After rebooting you can now rename the new user as the user name u used before, you might of lost all your personal settings but at least u don't have to go threw a total reinstall.

Hope this helps and that M$ have not corrected this hack in service updates

Cheers Markie
Mark, thanks for your input. However, at the login screen, I have no other option but to Shut Down.

There are no options for logging in at all or entering Windows with new users.
Ok you say that, booting up in safe mode produces same results and u are not able to open xp.

Another option is to reboot using Xp install cd and installing over old version, this will keep all settings but replace any corrupted system files, might take a bit of time, but better than total reinstall of all software.
Thanks for your advice, Mark. I'll look into this.