South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: XP help again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I set my internet connections to "dial a connection when Lan is not available" then XP permanently thinks it is disconnected from our work network and keeps wanting to dial out, but if I set the connection to "never dial" then the stupid OS won't dial when I am really disconnected from our network - any ideas as to how to fix this: eg by forcing the PC to connect by dial-up when I require it, but otherwise never to try to dial out?

Any help would be appreciated, ta.
I may be talking a load of **** but I'll try anyway...
You are in Internet Settings, where the setting will apply to you Internet Connection....
Presuming you dial in to work (and don't get there via a browser) then surely you should address the network connections thingy that you use for work? This is probably found in the control panel, but 'cos I'm on NT at work I can't dig any deeper right now..
Ade
Quote:Originally posted by Ade
I may be talking a load of **** but I'll try anyway...

hmmm... i see **** is not allowed. Reminds me of an old Stiff Little Fingers song, You can't say **** on the radio!
Go to My Network Places

There will be a list of different connections, right click on connection u wish to use and click on connect.

Now open Browser and u will be connected

If your connection is not listed in My Network Places use the View Network Connections and Create a new connection and the wizard will guide you.
Quote:Originally posted by Mark
Go to My Network Places

There will be a list of different connections, right click on connection u wish to use and click on connect.

Now open Browser and u will be connected

If your connection is not listed in My Network Places use the View Network Connections and Create a new connection and the wizard will guide you.

That just seems to create a shortcut to a web url, and not a shortcut to a dialup connection.

In windows '98 I would just go to my connection under my computer and all the dial ups are listed there, but XP doesn't seem to have an equivalent. Sad
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
If I set my internet connections to "dial a connection when Lan is not available" then XP permanently thinks it is disconnected from our work network and keeps wanting to dial out, but if I set the connection to "never dial" then the stupid OS won't dial when I am really disconnected from our network - any ideas as to how to fix this: eg by forcing the PC to connect by dial-up when I require it, but otherwise never to try to dial out?

Any help would be appreciated, ta.

and what did you do to deserve XP

Wink
Quote:Originally posted by TheDuck
and what did you do to deserve XP

Wink

Company laptop - my home PC barely manages to "run" windoze 98, XP is fortunately way beyond it's capabilities.