South Africa Info Forums
The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - Printable Version

+- South Africa Info Forums (https://globalbuzz-sa.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Trivia and Music Zone (https://globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/Forum-Trivia-and-Music-Zone)
+--- Forum: Trivial Pursuit and More (https://globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/Forum-Trivial-Pursuit-and-More)
+--- Thread: The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread (/Thread-The-Sixth-Trivial-Pursuit-Catch-Up-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - Jangar - 31-07-2006

dudette Wrote:Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish

Poor ole German didn't make it in Sad

:thumbs:

What world-famous photographer took the picture that appeared on the cover of the very first issue of Life magazine in November 1936?

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - Hagar - 31-07-2006

Margaret Bourke-White

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - Jangar - 01-08-2006

Hagar Wrote:Margaret Bourke-White

The photo was of the massive Fort Peck Dam, then under construction by the Army Corps of Engineers in Montana.

In stamp collecting, what are cinderellas?

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - sooibrand - 01-08-2006

wild guess - the stamps that become really valuable

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - gwasi - 01-08-2006

stamps that have been used but do not have the franking mark on them?

Either that or they are singed around the edges :haha:

when may I tell what I learnt from google?

sooibrand Wrote:when may I tell what I learnt from google?

Now Big Grin

A Cinderella stamp is any non-postage stamp. The oft-neglected stepchild of the postage stamp, a Cinderella may look like a stamp, but it won't carry the mail. The category includes locals, labels, tax stamps, fiscals, poster stamps, charity seals, forgeries, fantasies, phantoms, revenues, etc. Some are more elaborately designed than the postage stamps they imitate. The hard-core philatelist scorns any stamp that didn't carry the mail, but others find these philatelic by-ways fascinating and rewarding. Philatelic Exhibition Seals are a popular sideline among stamp collectors. The heyday for Cinderellas in the U.S. was the 1920's and 1930's, when many beautifully designed engraved examples were produced.

sooibrand Wrote:A Cinderella stamp is any non-postage stamp. The oft-neglected stepchild of the postage stamp, a Cinderella may look like a stamp, but it won't carry the mail. The category includes locals, labels, tax stamps, fiscals, poster stamps, charity seals, forgeries, fantasies, phantoms, revenues, etc. Some are more elaborately designed than the postage stamps they imitate. The hard-core philatelist scorns any stamp that didn't carry the mail, but others find these philatelic by-ways fascinating and rewarding. Philatelic Exhibition Seals are a popular sideline among stamp collectors. The heyday for Cinderellas in the U.S. was the 1920's and 1930's, when many beautifully designed engraved examples were produced.

Couldn't have said it better myself Big Grin

What baseball great received the highest percentage of votes ever cast for induction into the Hall of Fame?

The Sixth Trivial Pursuit Catch Up Thread - sooibrand - 02-08-2006

the only one I know is Babe Ruth