Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Samurai
Anyone managed to see this yet?

All I can say is WOW!

Spacegirl, I'd be very interested to see if the subtitles match the actual speech in the movie (I know you're still fluent in Japanese Wink ).

Basically the movie is set in the late 19th Century and revolves around the Samurai having to deal with an encroaching, modern and not altogether pleasant world.

I'd highly recommend the movie - the fight scenes are superb, the costumes magnificent and the overall feeling is one of awe.

Definitely one to get on DVD for the future as well
So then u recommend it??

As in the papers yesterday it got quite a cool review....they said Tom Cruise did not exactly set the screen alight with his performance...they said he should rather have taken the role opposite his ex-wife in Cold Mountain....Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
So then u recommend it??

As in the papers yesterday it got quite a cool review....they said Tom Cruise did not exactly set the screen alight with his performance...they said he should rather have taken the role opposite his ex-wife in Cold Mountain....Big Grin

Cubbie

Tom Cruise was good - I haven't been a great fan of his, but thoroughly enjoyed this movie..
He does get rather badly beaten up in some of the scenes - the action sequences are something to look out for Smile

So I guess yes in answer to your first question Wink
As soon as my soulmate gets here (4 weeks and counting) we are going to watch it...... so I will let you know.....

Glad it got your aproval.... I know us Scorpio people can be very particular with what we watch!
To regret past mistakes is to live them over again....... move on and live your life without regret!
Quote:Originally posted by Spacegirl
Glad it got your aproval.... I know us Scorpio people can be very particular with what we watch!

It's beautifully done, what with the Cherry Blossoms etc.

After reading up on loads of the Japanese and Chinese culture.. and now seeing the film, it's a land of magic and mystery for me.

Kinda reminds me of the school projects we had to do in High School.. but sooo much better!

Bushido and the way of the warrior in all its nobleness does have some form of romantic age old appeal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few Oscars come nodding it's way in several weeks
I have seen only the trailer and read the reviews....all positive....however....i can't come to grips with Tom Cruise playing this role. To me he is simply a pretty boy and a nice person who lacks that extra spark that separates a professional actor from an amateur. I guess I can wait to buy the DVD for hubby who has already seen the movie and is raving!!
I agree with you. Tom Cruise really is not my favourite actor. I will wait until the dvd comes out. Until then, there are other good movies at the theatre that I can see insteadBig Grin
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Much to my surprise, I find myself agreeing with Pooks Wink - Tom Cruise is definitely no pretty boy in this movie and shows a maturity I didn't think he possessed before. I thoroughly enjoyed it and he's totally believable in the role.
Earth is full. Go home!
Quote:Originally posted by Pooky
I personally dont think that you will get the WOW by just seeing the DVD IMHO - Tom Cruise played an exceptional role and I believe that he will certainly be considered for a gold thing. He was never my favourite either but I think that his maturity really shows in this movie - I promise you that he does not portray a pretty boy in this movie.

Well, in that case, I will give it a go!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi