Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies
From Tiaan Strauss :

Quote:Former Springboks and Wallabies flank Tiaan Strauss has labelled the performance of the South Africans in the first Nelson Mandela Challenge match as "soft", and called on them to be more aggressive in Saturday's decider in Johannesburg.

Strauss was shocked by the poor effort of the Springboks in Sydney.

"The main thing was their defence was so soft, I mean really soft," he said. "They've been known as a very good defensive team, and I thought they'd really bustle them in defence so I was very surprised."

Pre-match pep talk

Strauss delivered a pre-match pep talk to the team and wryly admitted his presentation did not seem to have hit the mark.

Asked what his words would be this week if offered another chance to address his countrymen, Strauss was much more specific, leaning towards tactical advice.

"They have to move off their line and tackle the [Wallabies] behind the advantage line," Strauss said.

"They waited for them last week, and you can't wait for guys like [Lote] Tuqiri and Wendell Sailor, you can't let those blokes run at you.

"You're a sitting duck if you let those guys run at you, so you have to make your first-up tackles."

Strauss was aware of the allegations of foul play that emerged from the Springboks' efforts in the first Test, and said the aggression they showed should be channelled into hard defence rather than anything sinister.

"I don't know about the dirty play, but [they need] controlled aggression," he said. "And I think they will be a lot more aggressive in their defence, and I think they'll try and rattle the Wallabies with it."

Mandela Plate

But despite home advantage, Strauss did not believe the Springboks had the personnel to retain the Mandela Plate and highlighted the main area in which he felt the Wallabies would prove superior.

"I just think their skill level is so much better," he said. "The [Springboks'] forwards did really well but it came down to the backs, and the Wallabies' backs were just far better ... better at running angles and just about everything."

"I'm worried about that, especially in the centres where [South Africa] have been very one-dimensional.

"The two centres [De Wet Barry and Marius Joubert] didn't play that well during the regular Super 12 and they haven't really improved."

Starting team

Strauss should be pleased that when the Springboks name their side this week for the Test on Saturday, up to 10 changes are tipped from the starting team and both centres are likely to be replaced.

The physical Jaque Fourie is expected to be drafted into the midfield with the versatile Jean de Villiers coming in from the wing to join him, opening up a place for Breyton Paulse out wide.

Flyhalf Andre Pretorius may also return, while a completely new back row might be installed to produce greater competition at the tackle contest.

Messages In This Thread
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by FlyingBok - 19-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by mcamp999 - 20-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by mcamp999 - 21-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by mvicky - 30-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by mcamp999 - 30-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Bok Changes for 2nd test vs Aussies - by mvicky - 30-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Boks squeeze past the Aussies mcamp999 2 3,240 30-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Joan
  2nd Test : SA vs France FlyingBok 5 4,456 28-06-2005, 11:25 AM