Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global Support
One of the benefits of living in today’s modern society is that there is some kind of support structure for virtually all aspects of life, whether it is having pre-marriage counselling or a telephone help-line to quit smoking. There is also fantastic support available for one of life’s greatest challenges – immigration.

This support group does not come in the form of social workers or psychotherapists. It is made up of a cross-section of people who have all been through the experience themselves. Most of the members of Global Buzz reached a point in their native country when they had to make the heart wrenching decision to either sell or pack up their belongings, say farewell to loved ones and head for the promise of a better future in a foreign country.

Whilst most “Buzzers” have made their new home in the UK, we also have members in Finland, Denmark, Norway, Germany, USA and Australia. Each new country has offered it’s own benefits and challenges.

One of the most difficult challenges I have discovered is understanding how “The System” in the UK works. From obtaining my National Insurance number to registering with a NHS doctor. The second challenge was homesickness. Unfortunately, when I first arrived in the UK in late 2000, there was very little support or advice available to South African expats. I had also chosen to live in a large city in Britain’s industrial north, where other South Africans were hard to find. There were very few days when I didn’t consider packing up and going back to South Africa.

Then in April 2001, whilst browsing the Internet, I came across a very tiny online community of SAffer expats. Little did I realise then what an important role these people would play in helping me to settle in my new country. I had found my very own support group!

During the next two years, this tiny community grew to include several thousand people, all experiencing similar challenges to the ones I was facing. This group of people included South Africans, Zimbabweans or people with a genuine interest in our beautiful homeland and unique culture.

Many “Buzzers” originated from that first community and we are continually being enriched with the arrival of new members. All play an important role in building this unique support group.

Through our many social gatherings, I have had the privilege of meeting other Global Buzz members. Many have now become dear friends of mine. Without their friendship, support and advice, I could not have found my feet in my new country.

Messages In This Thread
Global Support - by Venus - 15-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Global Support - by dudette - 15-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Global Support - by emma - 16-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Global Support - by TheDuck - 16-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Global Support - by nikkinaz - 16-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Global Support - by CarolineC - 08-06-2006, 10:39 AM