Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A change in direction
One really good thing came out of our trip to France and that was me deciding to get off my ample behind and change my life in regards to what I do for a living. I'm not one to deal with 'my cheese had burnt' or 'there's a bone in my chicken'. I end up banging my head against the desk - not good for my head or the desk.:dazed:

I remember coming home when I was 12 and telling my parents that I want to be an archaeologist. Infact I was insistant - I had found a love of history. My dear father (in his wisdom I suppose) shot this dream down, and continued to do so everytime I brought it up. "How will you live?" "You won't make any money doing that". "You'll get dirty, no-one wants to know a dirty girl". Being the child I was, I believed him and ended up settling for something I was not happy doing:noway: - but it kept him happy. I had also learned to keep my dream quiet. Every now and again it would 'pop' up and remind me. I thought of UNISA but my pay pack was not enough. Thought of Open University when I cam here but they did not do the courses. Again I had to work to live as I could not go full time (or part time) to University. Again the dream was put on hold.

France was the last straw. I realised that my unhappiness did not stem from a country where it rained more that Wales.Wink It was the fact that I had to come back to a job I find a chore and to people who I find difficult. So onto the web I went. Very few places offer archaeology through distance learning. Our local uni offers part time courses but it means having to take a few days off durin the week. I can imagine this palce when I say "off to uni ta-ra". Not gonna happen. Instead I found Exeter University has a course - 3 modules that run concurrent - distance learning - and the price is right. (Come on down!!!) The only down side is they are not accrediated. This means I study, do the work and have nothing to show for it. Except my self esteem.

My question is - is it worth putting my money down, studying and have nothing to show? Or do I do this course - love it and want more? The more I think about it the more I want to do it. Its not practical - unless I can dig in my garden - but the theory. Is it the course for me?

Messages In This Thread
A change in direction - by gwasi - 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
A change in direction - by Heather.T - 12-06-2007, 01:32 PM
A change in direction - by Ray - 12-06-2007, 02:13 PM
A change in direction - by Ade - 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM
A change in direction - by Cheffie - 13-06-2007, 09:57 AM
A change in direction - by gwasi - 14-06-2007, 11:17 AM
A change in direction - by Ray - 14-06-2007, 07:15 PM