Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone
Quote:Originally posted by sooibrand
There is some really great homegrown SA music and even here it is becoming the in thing with the young crowd. When people think of SA music they tend to think only boeremusiek. Not the case anymore. Glad you enjoyed the evening

Sooibrand I ahve been listening to the more alternative Afrikaans music for near on 16 years. I can remember being blown away by the Voel Vry movement back in the late eighties. They were brown eyeing the establishment with their music which was sooooo radically different to the rubbish spouted by people like Bles Bridges, Sonja Herholdt, Carike etc. These were people who played real rock music and had sedate Afrikaanse meisies throwing their knickers on stage in a frenzy!

Karen Zoid is just an extension from those brash hard hitting days. Whilst the SA and Afrikaans music industry still churns out prepacked low talent pretty boys like say Kurt Darren, it has also started to give attention to the people with real talent like Piet Botha, Karen Zoid, Valiant Swart and so on. For the past ten years Afrikaans music has been growing at a phenomenal rate - eclipsing the English music scene. However we need to get more people listening. And this is where my complaint about Zulus comes in. Most of the crowd looked as though they were at an NG Kerk Jeug Kamp and were quite happy to lang arm to Bob Marley. However, it is these people who buy music and who should be buying more SA music. The industry needs to expose these people to it more. Seeing as Zulus hosted Karen Zoid I really feel that they would do well to also play more SA music and less of the infernal ABBA (Jan you would have smaaked it - 3 ABBA songs if I remember correctly). After all people will only learn that local is lekker if they get to hear enough of it!

Messages In This Thread
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone - by picanin - 03-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone - by Heather.T - 03-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone - by Jangar - 04-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone - by sooibrand - 04-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Karen Zoid @ Zulus in Leytonstone - by picanin - 04-09-2004, 07:43 PM