Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The City of one's birth
Way back many years ago I was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne here in the UK whilst my folks were on holiday from Scotland visting my mums family (my dad never forgave me for being born on the wrong side of the Border). After thirty five wonderful years in SA/Rhodesia we returned to the UK, but I never ever thought of going to live in Newcastle (where many members of the family still live). As far as I am concerened Pietermaritzburg and Bulawayo are more my home towns and now that we have been in Doncaster for nearly 16 years it has become my home town. How many others do not 'relate' to the cities or towns they were born in?
Always enjoy life - and remember there is always someone worse off than yourself - treat others as you yourself would want to be treated.
Well I dont relate to the bog I came from. Firstly - there is no way I can stand the smell of raw sewerage. Secondly - now that I have wings, I cant be seen flirting around juvinile tadpoles and algea any longer.

Having said that, my place of birth served it's purpose and I will always have fond memories of playing with my family and friends there.
Hi Rob

I could never think of Cape Town as anything but home. I have travelled through many beautifull places, but that is where my heart is.
Quote:Originally posted by MissQtoe
Well I dont relate to the bog I came from. Firstly - there is no way I can stand the smell of raw sewerage. Secondly - now that I have wings, I cant be seen flirting around juvinile tadpoles and algea any longer.

Having said that, my place of birth served it's purpose and I will always have fond memories of playing with my family and friends there.

So true MissQtoe......my place of birth served a purpose but now i do not even go near there when i go back as the family has moved out of the town...so no need to really go back...what is in the past is the past and move to the future i say...Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Oom Rob
How many others do not 'relate' to the cities or towns they were born in?

My story is similar to Oom Rob!

I was born in Northallerton, North Yorkshire. My parents emigrated to South Africa (Springs ) when I was 3 years old. I grew up in Springs and then moved to various places over the years, before bringing my family to England last year. I live quite happily in the South East at the moment.

Strangely, I should 'relate' to Springs, mainly as I grew up there, but consider Manzini (in Swaziland) as my heart's home. I lived there for the 6 years preceding my return to England and made many genuine and good friends (both local and expat) whilst there.

I could not live in Northallerton (even though all my relatives still live there), although I do visit ....
Its not my attitude that sucks, its your perception!
Go the Bokke!
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
...what is in the past is the past and move to the future i say...Smile

Hey Cubbie and MissQtoe!

I agree, always look to the future, but don't erase the past. It is what made you, for better or for worse. Memories of the past are what steer the course of the future...

What didn't kill you, made you stronger...!
Go the Bokke!
Quote:Originally posted by Bushwacker
Hey Cubbie and MissQtoe!

I agree, always look to the future, but don't erase the past. It is what made you, for better or for worse. Memories of the past are what steer the course of the future...

What didn't kill you, made you stronger...!

Bushwacker..

Definitely i agree......but it no longer holds anything dear to me as Dad has now passed on and the family has moved on out of Springs....but the home i had and the friends i had...i still hold dear......like u honey...Smile
I was born in Jo'burg but went to school & lived in Scottburgh for much of my childhood & all my teen years so I think of Scottburgh as being my hometown. As most seem to agree on this thread, my home is where my heart is.
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
I was born in Svendborg, Denmark...

But grew up in Newcastle, Natal...I cant relate to Svendborg as my birthtown at all, Newcastle will always be home to me...
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
Bushwacker..

Definitely i agree......but it no longer holds anything dear to me as Dad has now passed on and the family has moved on out of Springs....but the home i had and the friends i had...i still hold dear......like u honey...Smile

Fanks Cubbie! Blush

(P.S. You are in my good memories file!) Big Grin
Go the Bokke!