Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*virtual* hard drives
This is my dilema ...... I am getting a new pc today and I have so many mp3's on this hard drive. I have to delete everything on this pc, but dont want to lose all da music. I dont have cd writer, and no time to get one.

Can any of the geeks/geekets reccomend a *virtual* hard drive for me to dump all the mp3's on and then download them from there onto the new pc? I have done a google search, but all of them require a credit card.,,,,,, even for a trial version.

OR any other practical suggestions??
Angel you can just take the hard drive out of the old PC and pop it into the new one. If you have configured it as a slave drive it should work first time round. Other than that find your local geek, buy a X-over network cable and link the two PC's ethernet cards with the cable, get the geek to set up an IP addy on each machine and copy the mp3's from the one to the other. If you arent really au fait with your PC's innards you would be best advised to locate a geek! Linking the two machines with a X over will be much much faster than using your BB connection to upload a few hundred megs to a virtual dump. Popping the old HD into the new machine faster still.
My guru - friend above - as always - is correct.

But ... I must differ again .. Wink

The easiest and by far quickest way is to buy a "jumpdrive" .

These are great non - gadgets that stores from a 64 mb to 1 gig in a small little USB drive.

It is great and will be not a once - off.

My bit ... Wink
thanks guys ... i have decided that the easiest option is to hang onto this pc and go get a rewriter. The jump drives are nearly £200 :eek: :eek:
Quote:Originally posted by angelbabe
thanks guys ... i have decided that the easiest option is to hang onto this pc and go get a rewriter. The jump drives are nearly £200 :eek: :eek:

Nooit !!!

That must be a massive one ! (1 Gig I pressume ) ?

I paid 34 punds for a 64 mb at Gatwick and in SL I paid $60.00 (40 pounds ?? ) last week for a 256 mb one ! ANd we ARE expensive !
Quote:Originally posted by FlyingBok
Nooit !!!

That must be a massive one ! (1 Gig I pressume ) ?

I paid 34 punds for a 64 mb at Gatwick and in SL I paid $60.00 (40 pounds ?? ) last week for a 256 mb one ! ANd we ARE expensive !

i phoned around and the cheapest one is 175 squid for a 64mb one. ( i presume the thing you are talking about is an external HD??)
i phoned around and the cheapest one is 175 squid for a 64mb one. ( i presume the thing you are talking about is an external HD??)

Nope. FB is referring to one of those USB memory stick thingies@:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specp...?NOV-MS256

FB is correct that this may well be the simplest solution for you. However for that price you can buy a burner which will be of far greater use to you!

As pix said ... nooit it 's not.

What I love about them is you out them in your purse and you have 32 to 1 gif on board like all your dirty video's for your mates Wink
PC World Prices : Nov 03 (so should be much lower now)

All in GBP

32 Mb - 25,33
64 Mb - 36.00
128 Mb - 56.00
256 Mb - 112.00
512 Mb - 209,33
1 Gig - 346.00

Cheers,

I rest my case .... pics take over Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is hard time for worm author too harsh? TheDuck 0 2,803 10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Last Post: TheDuck
  Hard Drive Crash, New Hard Drive Install Maat van Plaat 7 4,074 13-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Ade
  virtual fly swatting ... pop ups angelbabe 3 3,077 29-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Hampshire Hog
  my pc drives me mad Curio 9 4,880 18-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Curio