Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marshmallows
My mother used to make marshmallows when I was a child and they always used to come out delicious!
I still have the recipe, but it calls for powdered gelatin and I could only find Sheet gelatine at Tesco's.
I tried to adapt the recipe but failed, so wondered if someone could give me a general recipe for how to make marshmallows
(i.e. xxx ml water/ xxx g gelatin / xxx ml sugar, )

Help!!
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
My mother used to make marshmallows when I was a child and they always used to come out delicious!
I still have the recipe, but it calls for powdered gelatin and I could only find Sheet gelatine at Tesco's.
I tried to adapt the recipe but failed, so wondered if someone could give me a general recipe for how to make marshmallows

Help!!

Dudette, I searched through loads of recipes and they all call for powdered gelatin apart from this one.

2 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup (home made corn syrup 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tbsp water = 1/2 cup light corn syrup)
1 1/2 cups water
9 sheets gelatin or 2 tablespoons gelatin powder
2 egg whites
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cornstarch

Method
1. Mix in a heavy-bottomed noncorrosive 2-quart saucepan the sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup of the water.
2. Place over medium heat and using a candy thermometer cook to 260 degrees (the hard ball stage).
3. In a bowl, bloom the gelatin sheets (or other forms of geatin) in the remaining 3/4 cup of cold water for 5 minutes.
4. (NOTE: bloom is a method of softening and swelling the gelatin so it will disolve smoothly when heated).
5. Stir the dissolved gelatin into the 260 degree sugar mixture.
6. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes.
8. In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
9. Slowly pour the gelatin mixture into the egg whites.
10. Beat until cool, about 12 minutes.
11. Sift the powdered sugar and cornstarch into a bowl.
12. Using 1/4 of the sugar mix and the sifter, dust a 17 x 11 inch cookie sheet.
13. When the egg white mix is cooled, pour onto the cookie sheet and smooth out with a pastry spatula.
14. (Another option is to fill a pastry bag and pipe mixture out to desired size and shape).
15. Allow to sit for about one hour.
16. Then, using kitchen shears, cut marshmallows into appropriate size.
17. Coat marshmallows with remaining sugar/cornstarch mixture.
18. Stor marshmellows in an airtight box until ready to use in recipes or atop your favorite hot chocolate recipe.
19. Makes 48 marshmallows.

here is a google search result.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UT...pe&spell=1
Thank you angelbabe Smile

I'll put it in my bookmark and let you know how it turned out .
Quote:Originally posted by dudette

Help!!

Dudette, would you mind posting your recipe please, as we don't get very nice marshmallows here. We do however get powder gelatine here if you want me to post it to you.
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Dudette, would you mind posting your recipe please, as we don't get very nice marshmallows here. We do however get powder gelatine here if you want me to post it to you.

Sure, no problem;

Marshmallows

1 1/2 cup hot water
2 heaped T gelatine
4 cups sugar
1 cup cold water
Vanilla to taste
Dessicated coconut browned in oven

Add hot water to sugar and boil until it spins a thread - 15 - 17 mins. Dissolve gelatine in cold water. Add to hot mixture and leave to cool. Add vanilla and beat until light and frothy. Pour into buttered dish and leave to set. Cut into squares and roll in coconut.
Note: pink colouring may be added and squares rolled in icing sugar in place of coconut.

Thanks for the offer of the powdered gelatine. I'll look around the other supermarkets, and if I don't find it I'd really appreciate it if you could send me some. Will send you a pm.
Smile
Thanks so much will have a go at making them. Gelatine here is sold in little sachets so not a problem sending by post.
Thanks so much will have a go at making them. Gelatine here is sold in little sachets so not a problem sending by post.
oooooo animal products between EU states! the customs guys are going to be after you Big Grin
will pass on the recipe to the wife :p
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
oooooo animal products between EU states! the customs guys are going to be after you Big Grin
will pass on the recipe to the wife :p

No this gelatine has all the baddies taken out of it (I think so ) Big Grin

Thought you would make them and surprise the wife - get back in the kitchen :haha:
No this gelatine has all the baddies taken out of it (I think so ) Big Grin

Thought you would make them and surprise the wife - get back in the kitchen :haha:
i was told you need (.) (.) to push knobs on the stove! :p actually the same for the dishwasher , washing machine, microwave...Big Grin

dont have the patience; go to the super market for that sort of thing!! wife does it to entertain the kids