Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aargh Help!!!
Like mcamp said... cheese and tomato toasties on the braai - always a hit! I will just add some onion to it too Smile

:daisy:
Bushbaby Wrote:Penelope, Bean of Love, Venus - recipes please!!!!

Here goes......
1 tin of baked beans
1 t/s curry powder
1 t/s maynomaise
1 sliced banana
drop of milk :chef:

as simple as that...... bon appetit
Curried Peach salad

This is just based on a single salad, so just double up the ingredients....

1 900 g can peach slices
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
300 g sugar
500 ml white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon turmeric
6 - 8 onions, sliced into rings or smaller pieces
1 1/2 tablespoon cornflour blended with a little water

Saute the onions in butter until soft. Drain the peaches, but keep the syrup. Then mix the vinager, salt, sugar, tumeric and the cornflour together. Once this is mixed, add the syrup of the peaches and pour onto the onions in the pot. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. The mixture should thicken a bit. Arrange your peach slices in a bowl and pour the onion syrup over and let it cool. Once cold, put it in the fridge and serve when ready!

Really yummy!

What I also do, is make the aboe, but cut the peaches in small bits and then mix it all with a big bowl of rice... you can then add bits of canned pineapple and some greenpepper etc...Lovely rice salad in a jiffy.
Beans
You can also try...

Pap and Cheese Bake AKA Paptert

1.2 litres water (1 1/2 pints)
5 ml salt
300 gram mealie (maize) meal (500 ml)
30-50 ml butter
200 gram cheddar cheese (500 ml)
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 ml black pepper
5 ml dried or 15 ml chopped fresh origanum
15 ml grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
250 ml milk
3 ml salt or seasoning salt

Bring the water and salt to the boil. Add the mealie meal mixing well. Cover with the lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. Stir in the butter and half the cheese. Using a wooden spoon, press half the hot pap into a greased 20 cm X 20 cm ovenproof dish. Arrange half the tomato slices on top and season with pepper and origanum. Cover with the remaining pap and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and the parmesan over. Beat the eggs, milk and salt together and pour over the pap.
Bake at 180ºC for 80 minutes or until the egg mixture has set. Arrange the remaining tomato slices on top 20 minutes before baking time expires.

Sheesh...I feel like making some now myself!
Beans
Thanks everyone and almal. Will be downloading this thread and make as many of the goodies as I can. The more variety we can put out the more likely that people will find something they like.

That is the other problem we have here - most of our Irish friends are very wary of trying South African foods, I even had trouble getting colleagues to try things like koeksusters!!
Would be rude not to educate the Irish on their use of the 'Irish Self-basting pot'... affectionately known to us as a POTJIE Wink

Koeksisters, beer bread etc would also go down a treat.

Peri peri baby chicken might be worth a shot too...

check under the recipe index.. you might have to go back to the beginning to see some of the oldies
Garlic loaves wrapped in foil and put on the side of the grid to warm up is delicious, as well as fresh toss salad. Bearing in mind it's spring, so a salad with a light dressing will compliment the other 'heavier' side dishes. If you'd like a recipe for a homemade dressing let me know.
An update for everyone.

The date for the function is Monday, 1st June (a bank holiday here). Expected attendees - between 50 and 70.

Now what I think is the best way to deal with catering is to prepare as many of the sides in advance as possible and have these on the tables from the word go. Get the fires going and have the first meat on the braai about a half hour before the day starts (there will be entertainment, football, etc as well). Then just keep the fires going throughout the day.

The menu option is still a bit sketchy but for now is:

Sides:
Potato Salad
Noodle Salad (these two are the 'bulk' items)
Carrot Salad
Green Salad
Corn on the cob

Meat
Boerewors
Chicken drumsticks/thighs
Lamb chops

Extras
Garlic bread
Toasted sandwiches
Breadrolls (for the boerie)
Tomato Sauce
Chutney

Dessert
Milktart

Undecided
Paptert
Sousboontjies
Roosterbrood
Potato Bake/Garlic potatoes
Sweetcorn bake

Extra desserts - fruitsalad, caramel tart, etc
Plus a whole lot more.

I am constrained by a budget, but if I can get it to stretch would love to include more of the suggestions you all gave. There are a few definites on the menu as you can see and they are there because we are confident that we cannot stuff them up - catering for numbers like these makes me nervous of experimenting in case something goes wrong.

I still think the menu needs balancing. What's missing?