Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ag Pleez daddy....
"Ag pleez daddy, won't you take me to the draaiv-in..."

For some or other unkown reason, I have this "song" in my head... ?!?!!

The problem is, I don't actually know the words to it, and I am probably going to go insane if I keep singing the first verse over and over again in my head.

Please help me to stop the insanity Big Grin Does anybody know the words to this song?
Big Grin
Go here ed. you will find all you want to know

http://www.sarockdigest.com
Heh heh heh... Thank you Tara: Big Grin I can sleep peacefully tonight...

"Ag pleez deddy won't you take us to the drive-in
All six, seven of us, eight, nine, ten
We wanna see a flick about
Tarzan and the Ape-men
And when the show is over you can bring us back again

Chorus:
Popcorn, chewing gum, peanuts and bubble gum
Ice cream, candy floss and Eskimo Pie
Ag deddy how we miss
Nigger balls and liquorice
Pepsi Cola, ginger beer
and Canada Dry

Ag pleez deddy won't you take us to the fun-fair
We wanna have a ride on the bumper-cars
We'll buy a stick of candy floss
And eat it on the Octopus
Then we'll take the rocket ship that goes to Mars

Chorus

Ag pleez Deddy won't you take us to the wrestling
We wanna see an ou called Sky Hi Lee
When he fights Willie Liebenberg
There's gonna be a murder
'Cos Willie's gonna donner that blerrie yankee

Chorus

Ag pleez deddy won't you take us off to Durban
It's only eight hours in the Chevrolet
There's spans of sea and sand and sun
And fish in the aquarium
That's a lekker place for a holiday

Chorus

Ag Pleeeeeez Deddy - VOETSEK!

Ag sies deddy if we can't kraak to bioscope
Or go off to Durban, life's a henguva bore
If you won't take us to the zoo
Then what the heck else can we do
But go on out and **** all the outjies next door

Chorus
Written in 1962 and originally called Ballad of the Southern Suburbs, this song was banned (as were all of Jeremy Taylor's works) in South Africa , but managed to sell 75,000 and reach No. 1 on the charts thanks to LM Radio in Mozambique.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Written in 1962 and originally called Ballad of the Southern Suburbs, this song was banned (as were all of Jeremy Taylor's works) in South Africa , but managed to sell 75,000 and reach No. 1 on the charts thanks to LM Radio in Mozambique.
I did not know that it was banned in SA Tara......in fact I recall a LP (vinyls for the young ones amongst us!!!!!!!!!!) that my father bought many years ago.........:music:
Quote:Originally posted by edmonsta
"Ag pleez daddy, won't you take me to the draaiv-in..."

For some or other unkown reason, I have this "song" in my head... ?!?!!

The problem is, I don't actually know the words to it, and I am probably going to go insane if I keep singing the first verse over and over again in my head.

Please help me to stop the insanity Big Grin Does anybody know the words to this song?
Big Grin

sad person that i am,,i am going to see his show in april!! should be a laugh!
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I did not know that it was banned in SA Tara......in fact I recall a LP (vinyls for the young ones amongst us!!!!!!!!!!) that my father bought many years ago.........:music:

You'll probably find that it had a radio ban (and possibly play ban).

A song that has a radio ban may not be played on the airwaves but is allowed to be played in disco's and private functions. An example of this was Eddy Grant's "Gimme Hope Jo'anna"

A song with a play ban is not allowed to be played in public or at private functions.

A banned song is not allowed to be sold though I think it may be sold on import lp's (like The Specials were in the early 80's) whereas a totally banned song may not be imported - Like Marianne Faithfull's "Broken English" lp.

Sorry Joan, I should have enlarged on what I said. Jangar is quite right, it was a Radio ban. But of course they couldn't ban good old LM radio could they? I've been trying to rack my brains to remember the chap who was synonymous with LM radio back then. I remember when he retired from it and we were all in tears.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Sorry Joan, I should have enlarged on what I said. Jangar is quite right, it was a Radio ban. But of course they couldn't ban good old LM radio could they? I've been trying to rack my brains to remember the chap who was synonymous with LM radio back then. I remember when he retired from it and we were all in tears.
Thinking of David Davies perhaps?

Sunday nights and the hit parade???
Thinking of David Davies perhaps?

Sunday nights and the hit parade???

No, it wasn't David Davies. The chap I am thinking of had wavy brown hair, was very debonair with a roughish talking voice and he had oh such a way with the girls! :haha: ( Well, he thought he did anyway) Wink