Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed with German saussage preparation
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Yesterday my folks and I traveled down south across the border and one of the stops was Aldi, I cannot believe how cheap they are compared to Denmark, and we went saussage mad...

But now the question has arisen, which is the best way to prepare these saussages, boil, fry or braai ???

The ones I am uncertain about are called:

Mettende - they look like russians, are vacuum sealed but were not in the fridge or freezer.

Germans usually fry them and sometimes even dice them to use them in casseroles etc. - Remember to take the skin off though before frying!

Can anyone help ?

My mom will be calling me later to tell me the types she bought and I'll pass them onto you when she does...
My mom just called and here is what she bought:

Geflügel-Fleischwors

and

Schinken-Fleischwors

Any ideas anyone ?

We think that the latter is like a pork boerewors but are not sure...

BTW both saussages are very red in skin colour...

These are already cooked and they are usually sliced up to put on Sandwiches. If you really want a German sausage treat - go for Bratwurst! They look really disgusting when uncooked, but they are gorgeous when fried with some mustard or ketchup!
Jan, I've just shown my friend your post about the sausages and she looked at what you said and those were her suggestions.
Quote:Originally posted by lols
Jan, I've just shown my friend your post about the sausages and she looked at what you said and those were her suggestions.

Thanx Lols Smile
Thanx Lols Smile

no worries any time.

You had better say thanks to krazy kat she's the one with all the info.
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
You Continentals do have some strange ways..

I guess trying German sausage must be a change from the British variety huh?

Actually our vikings ways are not strange but weird :haha:

I haven't had a british saussage since my last visit in 2001 :p
I haven't had a british saussage since my last visit in 2001 :p

How you get your kicks is TMI for me thanks Big Grin

A quick clue.. Germans have the 'Double S'.. but in English we don't have two in our sausage Wink

However I think perhaps a relook at where Vikings come from and Continentals hail from might be two very different areas.. albeit with some similar peculiarities LOL
Quote:Originally posted by Cheffie
How you get your kicks is TMI for me thanks Big Grin

A quick clue.. Germans have the 'Double S'.. but in English we don't have two in our sausage Wink

However I think perhaps a relook at where Vikings come from and Continentals hail from might be two very different areas.. albeit with some similar peculiarities LOL

So that's why saussages taste much better than sausages :haha:

And what you mean to say is that the Germanic spelling has a double 's' or that the English spelling has 2 's's and the German 3 's's

Maybe I should stick with the Danish 'pølser' :p
Cool

I'll try the Mettende both ways Smile

Thanx Jillibeans you're a star Smile

It's a pleasure Jan, in fact our butcher gave us some Mettende (he gave me two types one normal and one with paprika), so I will trying it, looks interesting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Urgent Help Needed alwayssmilin 3 3,914 18-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Last Post: angelbabe